Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: WFE6(1.5HP) impeller on a WFE4(1.0HP) motor?

1. Back To Top    #1

WFE6(1.5HP) impeller on a WFE4(1.0HP) motor?

I'm replacing my motors and rebuilding the pumps for both my water features(WFE4) and main pump(WFE12 w/AO Smith B2844).
    I'd like to have a bit more flow on my water features, 3-24" wide sheer descent falls and 2 sprays on the tanning ledge.
    Since the diffusers and housings are the same on the Whisperflo pumps from 1/2HP to 2.5HP, I was thinking about doing a minor upgrade while I have them torn down.

Would I see an improvement with the WFE-6 impeller or do I need to run the larger motor to notice a difference?

Will it overheat the 1HP motor(AO Smith B2853) since it is designed to run on the 1.5HP(AO Smith B2854) motor?

All of my exposed plumbing is 2" if that helps you make your decision.

Thanks.
    7x7 spa drains>16K IG, Gunite/Plaster, Compool 3600, Purex Triton Minimax Plus 350, Sand Filter, 8 Gal Liquidator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: WFE6(1.5HP) impeller on a WFE4(1.0HP) motor?

IF you go up in impeller size you'll have to go up in motor size. A 1½ hp impeller will over load the 1hp motor. You'd be going from a 1.65 SFHP impeller to a 2.2 SFHP impeller.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: WFE6(1.5HP) impeller on a WFE4(1.0HP) motor?

Thanks for confirming my suspicions, I appreciate all the help.
    7x7 spa drains>16K IG, Gunite/Plaster, Compool 3600, Purex Triton Minimax Plus 350, Sand Filter, 8 Gal Liquidator