new house...can't get our pool clear

Jun 12, 2011
We bought a new house in April and it came with a beautiful backyard and 4 year old above-ground pool built into a paver deck. We had no idea of the pool condition but did not trust the previous owners when they said all we had to do was remove the cover! Turned out the cover had holes in it so when we opened it like 3 weeks ago it was filthy. For the past 3 weeks we have been getting our water tested at the local pool place...doing exactly what they said...and they have been telling us for about 10 days that our chemicals are perfect. Problem is this: the pool is blue but cloudy...and when I vacuum (almost every day) the return seems to be spitting dirt back out! We have a Hayward sand filter...anyone have any ideas of what could be causing our problem?

Yes...we always backwash after vacuuming which is usually everyday. The last time we had the water tested was Wednesday and I am pretty sure we threw away the results after they told us for the second time that all levels were good. I was told each time that all levels are good...except one time our phosphates were slightly over the acceptable level so they sold me poolperfect + phosfree. Since I began weekly treatments with that I have been told the phosphate level is good. The very last time I was told that there was no chemical explanation for our problem and sold a product to help our filter run more efficiently. It is called Fiber Clear filter media and I have been adding it as directed with little/no change to my water. I will go to the pool store again in the morning for another water test and post numbers. The help is greatly appreciated!

Being that you are a new home owner, you really don't have any history of the pool, pump, filter, etc. You might want to shut down the filter, pull the electric plug/circuit breaker, block in the water in and out lines, pull the top of the filter off and check the condition and amount of sand. It might need to be changed. You should also check the condition of the internal parts while changing the sand.

Problem is this: the pool is blue but cloudy...and when I vacuum (almost every day) the return seems to be spitting dirt back out!
I think this is part of your problem. Try this, put a sock or cloth over the return while you're vacuuming and see what comes out. If the stuff you're vacuuming up comes back out you'll have to break the filter down and find out why.

You do have the filter valve set on 'filter' and not recirculate or bypass don't you?

Yes...we have the filter set correctly when we vacuum. The sock idea is great...I do suspect that something is going wrong inside our filter. I have always had pools/been a lifeguard...so I know what is normal when vacuuming. Thanks again...will def be giving that a try when I vacuum today!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.