Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: new house...can't get our pool clear

1. Back To Top    #1

new house...can't get our pool clear

We bought a new house in April and it came with a beautiful backyard and 4 year old above-ground pool built into a paver deck. We had no idea of the pool condition but did not trust the previous owners when they said all we had to do was remove the cover! Turned out the cover had holes in it so when we opened it like 3 weeks ago it was filthy. For the past 3 weeks we have been getting our water tested at the local pool place...doing exactly what they said...and they have been telling us for about 10 days that our chemicals are perfect. Problem is this: the pool is blue but cloudy...and when I vacuum (almost every day) the return seems to be spitting dirt back out! We have a Hayward sand filter...anyone have any ideas of what could be causing our problem?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: new house...can't get our pool clear

Have you backwashed the filter at all?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

One of the first thing to do is to post a full set of water test results. The pool store should have given you some numbers?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes...we always backwash after vacuuming which is usually everyday. The last time we had the water tested was Wednesday and I am pretty sure we threw away the results after they told us for the second time that all levels were good. I was told each time that all levels are good...except one time our phosphates were slightly over the acceptable level so they sold me poolperfect + phosfree. Since I began weekly treatments with that I have been told the phosphate level is good. The very last time I was told that there was no chemical explanation for our problem and sold a product to help our filter run more efficiently. It is called Fiber Clear filter media and I have been adding it as directed with little/no change to my water. I will go to the pool store again in the morning for another water test and post numbers. The help is greatly appreciated!

5. Back To Top    #5

Keep running your pump 24/7
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks...we have with the exception of 2 or 3 overnight shut-offs just to see what would happen! This has been extremely frustrating...esp since we are having a homewarming party on Saturday!

7. Back To Top    #7

Being that you are a new home owner, you really don't have any history of the pool, pump, filter, etc. You might want to shut down the filter, pull the electric plug/circuit breaker, block in the water in and out lines, pull the top of the filter off and check the condition and amount of sand. It might need to be changed. You should also check the condition of the internal parts while changing the sand.
    19500gals 28' x 54" AGR vinyl
    3/4 hp Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter S210T
    3yrs old June 2008

8. Back To Top    #8

just pour a buncha bleach in it and be patient.

9. Back To Top    #9

Problem is this: the pool is blue but cloudy...and when I vacuum (almost every day) the return seems to be spitting dirt back out!
    I think this is part of your problem. Try this, put a sock or cloth over the return while you're vacuuming and see what comes out. If the stuff you're vacuuming up comes back out you'll have to break the filter down and find out why.

You do have the filter valve set on 'filter' and not recirculate or bypass don't you?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes...we have the filter set correctly when we vacuum. The sock idea is great...I do suspect that something is going wrong inside our filter. I have always had pools/been a lifeguard...so I know what is normal when vacuuming. Thanks again...will def be giving that a try when I vacuum today!