What have I got myself into

Jun 12, 2011
Georgia
Hello all. I'm new to TFP and one year into pool ownership. And boy have I found myself in a bind. My pool is 13,000 gallons and has 1.5" plumbing with a sand filter.

I needed to replace my pump (old one was making an aweful whine and was leaking) so I purchases a Hayward EcoStar Variable Speed Pump with SVRS. At the same time, I figured since I had to do new plumbing, I'd get a salt water conversion and purchased a Hayward Aqua-Rite T-15. After ordering this and receiving the Aqua-Rite, I was told that the pump was on "extreme backorder". So I then purchased a Pentair IntelliFlo VS pump. All of which is 2" piping, but I was told by the sales agents that I just needed a reducer and it would be good.

So I had these items installed by a master plumber and all seemed well, but then I noticed a leak in my valve housing. So I ran down to the local poolstore and paid a fortune for a new valve. I got that installed and this one started leaking too. If these weren't professionally installed by a plumber I'd think I overtightened the threads. It seems that the pump creates too much pressure for the valve.

So my thoughts are that maybe I should purchase a new cartridge filter, thus alleviating the need for a valve. And with 2" couplings it should be able to withstand the pressure from the pump.

My ultimate goal is to run the pump 20 hours a day at 750 RPM with a 30 minute burst at 1400 RPM to capture the debris in the skimmer. This will turn over the pool a couple of times and create enough flow for the chlorinator to generate.

Am I way off base? Am I just out right hosed?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

I've attached a photo for plumbing references (if needed).

Thank you in advance for your help!

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 187
It is leaking from the actual seam on the valve where the top and bottom were connected from the factory. One valve leaking and I would agree that it was defective, but it has been two valves in the exact place. I know that I used to only have a 3/4 hp pump and this new one is up to a 3 hp. I have throttled it back by setting the max RPM's to 1900 instead of the 3450 default.

Are you suggesting that I try a third valve?

Can you show us a pic of the valves (or at least a brand and model number)....I don't see any in the pic you provided.

It sounds to me like you are missing 0-rings but impossible to tell without some description of the valves.

The valve is a Hayward SP0710X62 Pro-Series Vari-Flo Replacement 1-1/2-Inch Control Valve Assembly and it is leaking from the inlet valve that is fed directly from the pump.

I've attached a pic showing where the leak is coming from. And yes, the sticker was "obeyed". :lol:

Attachments

• Leak.jpg
    Leak.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 121
It certainly looks cracked to me. If you look at the first pic you posted, it looks like the piping is in a bind against the salt cell. That will cause problems itself. Even to the point of cracking the inlet port as you show.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.