Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What have I got myself into

1. Back To Top    #1

What have I got myself into

Hello all. I'm new to TFP and one year into pool ownership. And boy have I found myself in a bind. My pool is 13,000 gallons and has 1.5" plumbing with a sand filter.

I needed to replace my pump (old one was making an aweful whine and was leaking) so I purchases a Hayward EcoStar Variable Speed Pump with SVRS. At the same time, I figured since I had to do new plumbing, I'd get a salt water conversion and purchased a Hayward Aqua-Rite T-15. After ordering this and receiving the Aqua-Rite, I was told that the pump was on "extreme backorder". So I then purchased a Pentair IntelliFlo VS pump. All of which is 2" piping, but I was told by the sales agents that I just needed a reducer and it would be good.

So I had these items installed by a master plumber and all seemed well, but then I noticed a leak in my valve housing. So I ran down to the local poolstore and paid a fortune for a new valve. I got that installed and this one started leaking too. If these weren't professionally installed by a plumber I'd think I overtightened the threads. It seems that the pump creates too much pressure for the valve.

So my thoughts are that maybe I should purchase a new cartridge filter, thus alleviating the need for a valve. And with 2" couplings it should be able to withstand the pressure from the pump.

My ultimate goal is to run the pump 20 hours a day at 750 RPM with a 30 minute burst at 1400 RPM to capture the debris in the skimmer. This will turn over the pool a couple of times and create enough flow for the chlorinator to generate.

Am I way off base? Am I just out right hosed?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

I've attached a photo for plumbing references (if needed).

Thank you in advance for your help!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What have I got myself into

If there is a leak, the plumber did something wrong or one of the parts is defective. The pump can not produce enough pressure to damage the plumbing or cause a leak.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

It is leaking from the actual seam on the valve where the top and bottom were connected from the factory. One valve leaking and I would agree that it was defective, but it has been two valves in the exact place. I know that I used to only have a 3/4 hp pump and this new one is up to a 3 hp. I have throttled it back by setting the max RPM's to 1900 instead of the 3450 default.

Are you suggesting that I try a third valve?

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

By the TOP do you mean where it is screwed together. If so remove the screws- apply some silicone lube to the O-ring and tighten back down. These valves should handle much more pressure.
    25k 20x40 Gunite w/ integrated Spa & Caribbean Blue Plaster, Curved Bluestone Coping, Deck Jets
    Pentair Easy Touch/Wireless, Sta-Rite Intellipro SRVS Pump, Intellibrite Lights, & Pentair IC40 Cell, Sta-Rite 450sf Cartridge filter
    Heated from Central Boiler - Outdoor Wood Furnace & Triangle Tube Max Heat Exchanger
    ColorQ Pro
    TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

It's where the seam is in the plastic. Where the two plastic pieces were matched in the form from the factory.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Can you show us a pic of the valves (or at least a brand and model number)....I don't see any in the pic you provided.

It sounds to me like you are missing 0-rings but impossible to tell without some description of the valves.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

The valve is a Hayward SP0710X62 Pro-Series Vari-Flo Replacement 1-1/2-Inch Control Valve Assembly and it is leaking from the inlet valve that is fed directly from the pump.

I've attached a pic showing where the leak is coming from. And yes, the sticker was "obeyed".
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Back To Top    #8

It certainly looks cracked to me. If you look at the first pic you posted, it looks like the piping is in a bind against the salt cell. That will cause problems itself. Even to the point of cracking the inlet port as you show.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit