Let's talk about resin - pros and cons

May 13, 2009
Mn
We are undecided about which pool to get and it is mainly due to resin top seats. We saw the pool in the store and when we reached over the edge to grab a floatie the edge bent way down and looked like it would break off at the caps. This has me concerned that after a few seasons of extreme hot and cold (Minnesota weather) that they will be brittle and break.

I realize they aren't meant to be leaned on and sat upon but knowing kids it will happen. They also seemed that they will be slippery when wet so if a kid is on it they could slip off.

So will exposed resin hold up in the end? I realize it is probably better for the tracks on the bottom.

Otherwise we are going with the aluminum pool.

Any have extended experience with resin?

MNPoolDreamer said:
We are undecided about which pool to get and it is mainly due to resin top seats. We saw the pool in the store and when we reached over the edge to grab a floatie the edge bent way down and looked like it would break off at the caps. This has me concerned that after a few seasons of extreme hot and cold (Minnesota weather) that they will be brittle and break.

I realize they aren't meant to be leaned on and sat upon but knowing kids it will happen. They also seemed that they will be slippery when wet so if a kid is on it they could slip off.

So will exposed resin hold up in the end? I realize it is probably better for the tracks on the bottom.

Otherwise we are going with the aluminum pool.

Any have extended experience with resin?

That was likely due to the fact that it was just a sample. I have seen 10 kids stand on my side top rails and jump in all at once. Yes the party was over after that... But nothing happened. I have had my all resin pool for 4 years now and not a scratch or a crack. The best thing is that there is no powder coat to scratch off or rust. I live in NW indiana just S E of Chicago. My pool has had some pretty tough winters. Last year I had a tree branch fall on it. Took out my pool fence but nothing happened to the pool. Just my opinion and I know there are others who like metal pools...But I like the Resin.

We looked at new pools before we ended up getting a used one. We were leaning towards one w/metal top rails because, like you, we have lots of snow and usually some ice storms in the winter and wanted to be sure our pool wouldn't break down due to the extremes of summer and winter. We were also concerned a bit about fading because the pool store trying to sell us on a pool promoted "no fading" yet their outdoor pools for that season were already faded on top and it was just a bit past half of the swimming season.

We ended up w/a pool with the metal top rails simply because it was a used pool and the price was right. Having come down to having the choice, I think we would have gone metal too. If you have trouble with the rails I've heard you can get replacements and that they aren't expensive & if we do have problems we'll look into that. We're on our 2nd swimming season & has overwintered w/us twice, it was probably 4 years old when we bought it and it's still in great shape. There are a few minor flecks of paint off of the rails but probably more due to moving the pool than it's use and abuse.

Suziqzer said:
We looked at new pools before we ended up getting a used one. We were leaning towards one w/metal top rails because, like you, we have lots of snow and usually some ice storms in the winter and wanted to be sure our pool wouldn't break down due to the extremes of summer and winter. We were also concerned a bit about fading because the pool store trying to sell us on a pool promoted "no fading" yet their outdoor pools for that season were already faded on top and it was just a bit past half of the swimming season.

We ended up w/a pool with the metal top rails simply because it was a used pool and the price was right. Having come down to having the choice, I think we would have gone metal too. If you have trouble with the rails I've heard you can get replacements and that they aren't expensive & if we do have problems we'll look into that. We're on our 2nd swimming season & has overwintered w/us twice, it was probably 4 years old when we bought it and it's still in great shape. There are a few minor flecks of paint off of the rails but probably more due to moving the pool than it's use and abuse.

Believe me the resin is just as strong. I have had winters where my cover has pulled loose from the clips rather than anything happening to the pool...I have had 3 feet of snow/ snow and ice on top of the pool cover, and I have had as much as a foot of plain water on the cover. Nothing happened to the side rails or top rail. And as I said I had 10 boys standing on my top rail to jump in all at once. The rails fared better than the boys did!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.