Converting to SWG

crokett

Jul 17, 2007
Hillsborough, NC
I picked up a never-used Intex SWG and 240lbs of salt off CL for $125.00 today. :-D Installation looks straight-forward, except my FC right now is somewhere above 5 - my Taylor kit tops out at 5 on the color scale. Do I need to do anything like wait for the level to drop? Or can I add the salt, then hook the generator in and go?

I was looking at that water balancepage on this site. I will have to bring the CYA up, it is still only at ~30. I will start that tomorrow, I want to be able to install this thing before we leave in two weeks. Are there drops I can get that test the salt content of the water with a drop kit? I see lots of links to salt test strips. I have this kit:
http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Complete-F ... 116&sr=8-1

Ok... so the water balance page for SWG pools says this:

Adjust your Total Alkalinity to 60-80 ppm. (This is IMPORTANT!)

My TA is 100. Is that too high for the SWG? this is a seasonal pool and will be taken down in September, so is the TA level that critical?

Nearly everyone with a SWG finds that PH rises annoyingly quickly in a pool with TA above 80 and a SWG. As long as you keep the PH under control it doesn't matter what the TA is. However, it will be much much easier to keep the PH under control when TA is lower. TA will come down fairly quickly if you keep the PH around 7.2 for a couple of days with the SWG running.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.