Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 'No flow' light illuminated--possible fixes?

1. Back To Top    #1

'No flow' light illuminated--possible fixes?

Hello,
    I have a Mineral Springs SWG system that is about 5 years old. When we turned our filter on recently, the red 'no flow' light was illuminated on the display board. I took the cell off and examined it--it looks squeaky clean, no dirt, debris, or buildup of any kind, and doesn't look worn at the edges at all. Tried rinsing it with water, to no avail; cleaned with a water/HCl solution, and the light is still on. I have read that when the cell is placed in the acid solution, it should 'bubble' for a few seconds, but I didn't see any bubbling at all. Not sure what that means. Is there something else I could try? It was working fine last year, no trouble from it (and crystal clear water) all summer. Do they usually stop working so suddenly like that? I love having a salt pool, but can't afford a new cell right now!

(I am new to this forum, so I apologize if I am leaving out important info or calling things by the wrong names!)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 'No flow' light illuminated--possible fixes?

The no-flow light really has nothing to do with the cell directly. There is a flow switch that makes sure water is flowing before the cell will turn on and seeing the no-flow light means that the switch isn't seeing a flow. It's either defective or the screen is clogged and not allowing enough water to pass through.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!

Check the gray 'phone cord' that plugs into the bottom of the control box. I've seen a LOT of them get weed whacked.

Let us know what you find and we'll advise further
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

I have the same problem.

My flow sensor was weed wacked, so I tried to splice it, and the light was still on, so I figured it was a bad sensor. I replaced the flow sensor - light is still on.

I cleaned the cell with acid - light is still on. A new motor is on its way out here, so once i replace the motor - which by the way was a separate issue in itself - I will let you know if the light goes out. Right now my current motor is on its way out and will only operate on low. I am hoping that the cell is not generating because the pressure is on low.

We just bought this home on foreclosure, and they did not exactly take care of the system. So we are dealing with issues as they arise. I really hope I do not need to replace the cell.
    20 x 40 inground pool, 30K gal, vinyl liner, 1.5 HP Hayward Superpump, Hayward Pro Serier Top Mount S244T sand filter (300lbs sand) with 62GPM design flow fate, Polaris 380 Pool cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Test the flow switch.

PSG
    poolschoolgrad

20x40 free-form IG vinyl, 1hp Hayward superpump, Hayward pro grid DE filter, Raypak heatpump, Goldline Aquarite SWCG, Polaris 280 with booster, and tested using a Taylor K2006.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you all so much for replying. What a relief to know it is probably not the cell!

After reading your replies I went out to check the flow switch and the wire from it has been cut at the end near the cell. How do I fix/replace this? Can I do it myself, or do I have to hire a professional?

williamske--we just had to replace our motor too. what an ordeal! best of luck--hope you get everything working soon!

Thanks again for the info!

7. Back To Top    #7

You can probably splice the wire, but mine was still reading no flow, so I bought it from this guy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWNX:IT
    20 x 40 inground pool, 30K gal, vinyl liner, 1.5 HP Hayward Superpump, Hayward Pro Serier Top Mount S244T sand filter (300lbs sand) with 62GPM design flow fate, Polaris 380 Pool cleaner

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks! Did you install it yourself? Do you know if the pipe tee has to be replaced too, or can the flow sensor be removed and replaced without messing with piping?

9. Back To Top    #9

I am under the impression only the sensor would need to be replaced - if it is bad. I have yet to still fix my no flow light. It is still on after replacing the sensor.

I replaced mine - here are some how to videos

http://www.poolguysupply.com/index.php? ... =page&id=4