Hey guys, first time pool owner. I have an intex 16 foot ring pool.
I filled the pool last week using well water. The water had a rusty tinge to it so I went to the local pool store. They said it was iron from the well water which is common. They sold me a $20 bottle of stain and scale remover. They also said i needed to increase the alkalinity. I added the stain/scale remover and the water cleared up within 24 hours. As soon as I added the alkalinity rise the water turned rusty again. I went back to the pool store and this time they sold me a $30 bottle of Stain X, which cleared up the water in a few hours...........I noticed a green tinge to the water the next day. I assumed it was alge but didnt shock the pool because the Stain X said don't for for at least 48 hours. The next day the pool was entirely cloudy and green (I can't even see the bottom). I added 3 pounds of shock yesterday and 2 more pounds today with no results. I went back to the pool store and they tested the water and said I have chlorine lock. They said my free chlorine was 0.1 and my total cholrine was 16. They sold me 2 pounds of non-chlorine shock and told me to add it and come back in 2 days with a new sample.
What is the best way I can clear up this pool?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.