Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy Water

1. Back To Top    #1
    DFW Metro

Cloudy Water

My pool is new - only filled for a few weeks. I've ordered a test kit but the mailman hasn't gotten it here yet. So for now all I have are test strips.

I had the water tested yesterday at the pool store:
    Chlorine - 5.0
    ph 7.9 (they had my add one pint of muratic)
    hardness 350
    alkalinity 80
    cya 55

The water looked perfectly clear yesterday afternoon. And I think my chemicals were very close to perfect??

Yesterday evening we had a group over and many kids in the pool. The water turned very cloudy-so much that you couldn't see the bottom.

Is this normal with a crowd of swimmers? Is there anything that I could have done to prevent it from happening?
    I left the pump running all night and the water looks perfect again today. I tested it this morning with a test strip (very hard for me to read) and it looks like everything is still close.
    13k gallon IG gunite pool
    Jandy 2 speed pump
    Jandy cartridge filter
    Stenner Pump and tank

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Cloudy Water

The best thing that you can do before a big party is to raise the FC to the top of the recommended range for your CYA.

The test kit will give you good numbers and then you'll know if there's a problem.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit