Should I lower TA?

Jun 2, 2011
I have finally gotten to the point of passing the overnight FC test, and now am focusing on other readings. I've been aerating to bring ph up from 6.8 to now 7.4. My TA is 200.

Should I worry about bringing the TA down with muriatic acid? It's my understanding that I don't need to worry about calcium scaling from a high TA since I have a vinyl liner.

Need a little guidance, please, and thank you!

As long as you are not having to lower your pH so often that is very annoying, you can just leave it alone.

The TA will come down on its own over time as you lower the pH.

ETA: Congrats on passing the OFCLT :goodjob:

Calcium scale is always a risk in any pool. Pools with a vinyl liner are fine with extremely low CH levels, but they run the same risks with high CH levels that any other pool does.

Unless you are having problems with the PH going up very rapidly, I suggest you simply lower PH to 7.2 any time it gets to 7.8 until your TA level is more reasonable.

Thanks to you both.

I haven't even tested for Calcium Hardness. Guess I better do that just in case.

As long as CH is in range, I'll keep an eye on pH until it gets to 7.8 and then lower to 7.2 and aerate.

Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.