Thread: New pool proposal

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool proposal

Any feedback would be appreciated:

16 x 32 rect vinyl liner
    8' steps
    Pentair 1 1/2 HP pump
    Pentair sand filter w sand
    Pentair 250,000 btu heater (I live in NW Ohio)
    Solar cover w/ reel
    Kreepy Krauler
    Goldline salt system
    Pentair Intellibrite LED light
    2 skimmers/ 2 returns
    Winter safety cover
    $23,400

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool proposal

My suggestion would be to add a 3rd return. I have 2 now and wish I had a third down at the deeper end. I also agree with the 2nd skimmer but would suggest adding at least another return line. Helps move the water towards the skimmer.
    Chad R.

POOL SIZE: 16 x 32' Vinyl lined pool. 22,000 gallons. 8' deep. 2009 Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump. Hayward S310S 30" 500 lb Sand filter. 1 skimmer and 2 returns. Solar Blanket.

Pics of my pool: http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn312/reindeerboy/

3. Back To Top    #3

How much decking?
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Absolutely positively get at least a 2 speed pump. The low speed is much quieter and the added pump expense will be saved in just a few months.
    We hardly ever use the 'high speed' on our 1 1/2 hp, only when we're running the spa jets or vacuuming.

Best of luck,
    John
    "Experience is what you get, just after you needed it."

Owner DIY build, steel/liner kit, 18x36 Deer Creek, sport depth, approx 17,500 gal,
    Aqua Plus SWG, 1 1/2 hp, 2 speed, 300# sand filter and twin Color logic 4.0s, MX-8 Cleaner.
    My DIY Pool Build

5. Back To Top    #5

The decking is the big factor. That can add extra expense fast.
    DIY 18x36 Vinyl Liner 1Hp 2 speed super pump, Hayward Swim Clear cartridge filter, Pentair 12v Intellibrite 5G, MX8 suction pool cleaner.

6. Back To Top    #6

I have my own concrete guy, separate from the pool installation. Deck will not be put in until ground is fully settled.

What is the best pump for me, considering the previous post recommending a two speed?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by a_fan
    What is the best pump for me, considering the previous post recommending a two speed?
    Hi A fan, the pool kit we bought included the standard Hayward 1 1/2 Hp, from what I read here on TFP I decided to upgrade to a 2 speed. The deal RoyalSwimmingpools.com had was to go from a Hayward single speed to an Astral 2 speed (also increased to 2" connections) for only $50 more. Astral is not a well known company like Pentair or Hayward but they are made by Speck, which is regarded as reputable. I am not an expert on which pumps will live longer than others but so far we are very pleased with this Astral.
    I'll let some of the more experienced chime in with other brand references.

Hayward has an energy calculator, but Jason stated that their savings listed are a bit optimistic.

http://www.haywardnet.com/inground/prod ... ulator.cfm

You would need to consider what automation you might need/want if you do go beyond a 2 speed to a variable speed.
    There are some great threads around here on the options, but your proposed Goldline SWG automation should handle any 2 speed pump.

Best of luck, John
    "Experience is what you get, just after you needed it."

Owner DIY build, steel/liner kit, 18x36 Deer Creek, sport depth, approx 17,500 gal,
    Aqua Plus SWG, 1 1/2 hp, 2 speed, 300# sand filter and twin Color logic 4.0s, MX-8 Cleaner.
    My DIY Pool Build