Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cartrdiges ruined?

1. Back To Top    #1

Cartrdiges ruined?

Hello all.

I recently pressure washed my hayward cartridge filters (I realize now that I should not do that). When I vaccum the dirt from the pool, I can see particles of dirt returning to the pool. The filter pressure is fine. Do you think pressure washing could have caused this?

I have ordered new filters which should be here on Tuesday. 3 days ago, I added stabilizer. I heard it takes a week for it to register on my tests. Does that mean that I should wait at least a week before changing the filters so I dont lose the added stabilizer?

Thanks!
    1. 24k gallon 2. Vinyl in-ground 3. Hayward 255 sq Ft cartridge 4. Jacuzzi 1 hp 5. Hayward heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cartrdiges ruined?

Dirt can only get back into the pool if it is somehow bypassing the filter. The most likely possibility is that pressure washing tore the filter fabric, allowing dirt through. However there is also a small chance that the filters are fine, but did not seal properly into the filter and dirt is able to leak through around the cartridge.

Opening up the filter depends how frugal you want to be. I would wait at least 48 hours after add CYA before opening up the filter. CYA takes a while to dissolve, and it is best not to waste it. Still, a fair bit of it dissolves each day, and there won't be all that much left after 48 hours. Its a tradeoff. The longer you wait the less CYA is wasted, but most of it is dissolved in the first two days.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Cartrdiges ruined?

Dirt can only get back into the pool if it is somehow bypassing the filter. The most likely possibility is that pressure washing tore the filter fabric, allowing dirt through. However there is also a small chance that the filters are fine, but did not seal properly into the filter and dirt is able to leak through around the cartridge.
    The filters not being seated correctly was the problem. Thank you for your help (again!)

Bryan
    1. 24k gallon 2. Vinyl in-ground 3. Hayward 255 sq Ft cartridge 4. Jacuzzi 1 hp 5. Hayward heater