Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mis diagnose Mustard Algae??

1. Back To Top    #1

Mis diagnose Mustard Algae??

Trying to solve a problem I’ve had every year of pool operation. I get a Brown/gray sediment with a hint of yellow that settles into “lines” on the bottom of the pool. It seems to be “seasonal” and periodic. I’ll deal with it now and again in late August. If I had to guess I’d say some kind of powdery substance is in suspension and when the water calms down it settles out in these lines. Vacuums rather easily but seems to return pretty quickly.

When I go to the pool store they say “Mustard algae!” and I leave with a ton of chemicals which seem not to help much. I’ve been reading up on mustard algae, it says, “a yellow slime on the walls” and “tends to cling to the walls” both of which I’ve seen neither of.

FC 4
    TC 4
    pH 7.4
    TA 150
    CH 250
    CYA 40

. . . sparkling beautiful blue water.

Thank you.
    15 X 30 X 3.6 Ester williams AGP
    10,800 gallons
    Haywood EC40C90 DE filter 1 HP pump
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Mis diagnose Mustard Algae??

Well, if you are able to collect any and feel it, pollen will feel squishy while algae will feel slimy.

Have you used skimmer socks? They will catch lotsa pollen, if this is the case.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Ditto what BF just posted.

It is almost surely not mustard algae but rather dead algae or pollen.

That your pool water is nice and clear and your test results are good would seem to indicate it's not algae at all.

However, when I let my FC levels drift too low...even for 12-24 hours, the next dose of chlorine usually results in some dead algae falling onto the pool floor (even though I couldn't tell I had any) and it looks almost identical to what you are describing.

Perhaps you could dose with chlorine more frequently or up the level a bit to around 6-8ppm and see if that stops it. I think it will.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Ditto what BF just posted.

It is almost surely not mustard algae but rather dead algae or pollen.

That your pool water is nice and clear and your test results are good would seem to indicate it's not algae at all.

However, when I let my FC levels drift too low...even for 12-24 hours, the next dose of chlorine usually results in some dead algae falling onto the pool floor (even though I couldn't tell I had any) and it looks almost identical to what you are describing.

Perhaps you could dose with chlorine more frequently or up the level a bit to around 6-8ppm and see if that stops it. I think it will.
    You got me thinking. That might be a common denominator. FC fell too low and then algae and then "dust." I'll keep an eye on that.
    15 X 30 X 3.6 Ester williams AGP
    10,800 gallons
    Haywood EC40C90 DE filter 1 HP pump
    TF-100 Test Kit