New filter and pump

Pool in Carolina Blue

LifeTime Supporter
May 28, 2007
I am replacing my old DE filter and am thinking maybe a sand filter. I have a in-ground gunite 20,000 gallon pool/spa combo and my existing DE filter is a FNS60. I have two 2 hp WhisperFlo pumps (one is dedicated to the spa). The main pump that runs with the pool is shot but the spa pump is fine.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Mike

Unless you have water features, like a waterfall or deck jets, you could probably do with a smaller and or two speed pump for the pool. A 3/4 HP pump will save money on electricity and provide enough circulation for filtering and vacuuming for all but the largest pools.

Jason:

I have a "spillover" waterfall from the spa to the pool. As I mentioned, the spa has it's own 2 hp dedicated pump when in spa mode. Also, I am looking for less maintenance than what I currently experience with my DE filter; hence, my thinking that a high rate sand filter might fit the bill.

I like sand filters, but you will find fans of every type here. Getting a filter that is larger than what you require goes a long way towards reducing maintenance. Sand filters are very easy to use and don't require much attention. Still you will find people here with cartridge filters that only need cleaning once a year who would never switch. If you have water restrictions in your area I would go with a large cartridge filter. If you don't have water restrictions I would go with sand (which uses more water because of backwashing).

Given a waterfall a two speed pump would be a great idea. Put it on high in order to get the waterfall to look good, put it on low for keeping the water filtered when you aren't there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.