Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: chiefwej from Tucson

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

chiefwej from Tucson

I am brand new to TFP.

My first pool came with a house I bought some years ago when I lived in Hingham, MA. It was pretty simple to maintain. The season was so short that by the time I got everything out of wack, it was time to close it for winter.

About five years ago, when I had a new house built here in Tucson, where a "nice summer day" runs about 104, I decided I had to have a pool. I didn't know much about water balance and chemistry. I started seeing lots of white flakes in the bottom of the pool. I went online to research it, and found this site.

In the last week, I have bought a TFT test kit, reduced my TA from about 220 to 100 (acid and aeration) , added 15 boxes of 20 Mule Team Borax, along with the acid to get the pH back down to 7.5. The water has never been this clear and sparkling!

Thank You
    TFP

W.E. Johnson, Fire Chief (retired)
    AKA chiefwej
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: chiefwej from Tucson

Welcome to TFP!

Sounds like you are on the right track. Keep in mind that one problem that you can run into there in Tucson has to do with your calcium hardness. The hard water there makes it tough to control CH in your pool which can lead to scaling if not kept in check. Be sure to monitor this level and make adjustments when needed.

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Since my fill water has enough hardness than you need to chew it, I don't see how I could really keep the CH level in check. The white flakes I was having to get out of the pool are about the only way I could reduce the amount of calcium in the pool. I can't afford to keep the pool full of the RO water that we drink here.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi chief and welcome to the forum

Sounds like you got things under control and you are rockin' with your TF100 test kit!

I think there may be RO treatment for your pool available in your area.
    Something to think about.

How about a pic of that pool?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Here are some picts from back when the pool was first built.

chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ

6. Back To Top    #6

That is gorgeous!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Sweet Pool

Welcome to TFP
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Gorgeous pool!!
    Denise-TFP Guide
    IG 13.6x30 gunite, Radiant Fusion Topaz, 3.6/5.6/4, 14100 gal, 2 skimmer, 4 Hayward LED lights (pool & spa), Hayward Echostar VSP, 2 future fire bowls, raised beam wall w/ scuppers,7x7 raised spa, DE Progrid70, SWG Hayward Goldline, OmniLogic, Hayward 400K BTU heater, stamped colored deck, Dolphin Discovery robotic cleaner, TF100 test kit, Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma