Swampy Pool & Floc Question

Jun 11, 2011
I've spent quite a bit of time reading threads on swampy pools and even used the search, but can't quite find the answer I'm looking for.

I made the mistake of listening to the pool store people (everybody as different advice). One guy told me to raise the PH to 8 and floc the pool. Nothing happened. That was a week ago. Like others here, it's difficult if not impossible to vacuum as I can't see the bottom of the pool. The instructions on the Floc clearly state that it should not be filtered, but vacuumed to waste. I have read several threads where people have used Floc to no avail and advice was given to shock, filter 2/7, backwash, repeat, etc. I really am leery about filtering the Floc when the bottle says not to. I'm ready to follow the advice given in the many threads on this forum, and I'm sick of not yet being able to swim while the frogs have all the fun.

I Floc-ed a week ago. Did a half-as__ed vacuum job and re-filled water to top of skimmer preparing for another lame vacuuming attempt in the morning. Pool currently running on re-circ.

Filter now... or not?

Best readings I have from the pool store water test as of 6/8
FC - .1
TC - .2
pH - 7.4
TA - 180
CH - 450
CYA - 30

Thanks for the help!

Good Morning! Welcome to the forum :lol:

Shock your Pool!.. Do so by following the specific guidelines laid out in Pool School.

Your pool's single biggest issue BY FAR is the absence of chlorine. Chlorine is the ingredient that will kill all the nasties in your pool and give you crystal clear water.

As you read the Shock Process, you will see that it requires that you run the pump 24/7. That is absolutely mandatory to get your pool clear.

So filtering and vacuuming (even though you can't see what you're doing) is necessary to get all the junk out of there. Tell us why you are leery of filtering/vacuuming.....is it because of the floc label?

Your water in the pool is perfectly clear......you just have to get the junk out of your pool so you can see it. Filtering and vacuuming and chlorine all in combination will allow that top happen.

I would suggest you not use any more floc. It seldom has the desired affect.

Thanks, Dave. Yes, the main reason I was leery about filtering was because of the label on the floc. Since it specifically said "do not filter this product," I didn't want to get into a situation that might force me to change my sand (another headache I don't need).

I have noticed that very few people who give advice on this forum are fans of floc. I'll heed that advice and stay away from it from now on. I'll dial in the shock best I can with the numbers I have, purchase a good test kit as recommended, brush, vacuum and run pump 24/7. No floc, no algeacide.

purchase a good test kit as recommended, brush, vacuum and run pump 24/7. No floc, no algeacide.
Now that sounds like a plan!! :lol:

My thinking on that floc label is they want you to not disturb the water, let everything (hopefully) settle to the bottom and then vacuum to waste. Filtering will keep the water stirred up and delay or prevent the settling.

Nevertheless, you'll do great to get your filter going and just be aware that you will start catching stuff. You will need to clean the filter as necessary. This part of the process often requires a lot of patience so be prepared. :lol: :lol:

A sparkling pool is in your future!!

I left the filter off for almost 3 days and the floc never settled. I'm sure that's no surprise to most folks here. In the meantime, my FC dropped to zero and I'm sure the algae has had a chance to gain a foothold again, even though the water still looks milky white.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.