Intelliflo VS or Whisperflow, what do you think?

Jun 12, 2011
Hi there, new to the forum and to owning a pool. Just bought a house, don't know much about the existing system. Here's what I know, 17K inground pool with 2" plumbing, an auxiliary pump for the sweeper and a coil solar system on the roof. The main pump needs to be replaced. Best guess, I expect to be in the house for 5+- years.

I'm trying to decide between the new Intelliflo VS and an Intellitouch or Suntouch control system (I'm told although the Intelliflo has a built in timer because of the auxiliary pump I need the Intellitouch or Suntouch control system) Total cost not including install is about $1300

or the Whisperflow (2 speed, 1hp) with a Intermanic 3 circuit digital timer.
Total cost not including install is about $800

Which setup would you recommend. Any advise is welcome......thanks.

Topshelf, it depends on how much $$$ your willing to spend. Also what are your electric rates per kilowatt hour? This will determine how long you will recover your cost. Can't go wrong with either, just make take longer to pay for. What's controlling your booster pump now?

Thanks for the reply. Kwh is about .15c per hour. Also, with the Intelliflo system I can get a $100 rebate from Electric Company. Best guess is I will be in the house for 5+- years. Wondering if the Intelliflo system would pay off versus the 2 speed Whisperflo? (I've seen the calculator on Penair's site, but they only compare the Intelliflo to an "existing" 1 speed pump)
Don't have access to the house for a few days, so don't know exactly what controller is on the booster pump now. Whatever it is, I'm told it was installed 8 years ago.

In my signature is a link to "Pump Modeling Tools" that contains a spreadsheet that allows you to do your own cost/benefit analysis. But from experience, at $0.15/kwh, it is very unlikely that the Intelliflo will pay for itself over the life of the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.