New Test Kit results

Jun 2, 2011
La Crosse, WI
Hi, I just got my Taylor test kit in and since this is the first time I've ever really gotten accurate test results I thought I'd ask a few questions:

The pool is really pretty clear and nice, though with the weather it has dropped from a nice 85 to about 72 degrees.
I am using TriChlor tablets right now since I have them and I have a feeder in my plumbing.

PH: 7.0 ppm
TA: 100 ppm
FC: 10.8 ppm
CC: .4 ppm
CH: 20 ppm
CYA: 2.6 ppm

1. Calculator says to add 106oz of Borax to bring up the PH, will that bring my TA up to much ?
2. Looks like I have lots of Free Chlorine, and not enough CC, will shocking help that ? (I'll shock with the bags from the pools store since I have a bunch of them left over from last season).
3. And it looks like I need to address CH and CYA ?

1) Only raise the PH to 7.2. It should drift up slowly from there on its own.
2) You want CC to be zero. Your CC level is actually too high. I would wait and see if CC is lower tomorrow afternoon before shocking.
3) There is no reason to add calcium to a vinyl liner pool. CYA, on the other hand, can not be 2.6. The test reads in 10s down to 20, so something went wrong there.

JasonLion said:
CYA, on the other hand, can not be 2.6. The test reads in 10s down to 20, so something went wrong there.

Retested today and results are:
FC: 11.6
CC: .4
Ph: 7.2
TA: 100
CYA: its below the 100 mark so I am estimating at about 120

Can I assume that the FC is up at 11.6 because the CYA is so high? I wish I would not have bought the darn $90 25# pail of pucks, that can only be hurting the CYA count. I have about 2/3 of the pail left to use! If I keep using them, will I have any chance of getting the CYA down?

BTW, the pool is crystal clear at the moment...

The CYA test can read around 100, even when the CYA level is much higher than 100. I suggest doing the CYA test again, only this time mix equal amounts of pool water and tap water, do the CYA test on the mixture, and multiply the result by two. That will give you a much better idea of CYA is around 120, or is actually much higher.

If CYA is actually around 120-150 then FC at 11.6 is a good FC level.

CYA levels of 100+ can be very problematic. You can get by as long as nothing goes wrong, but if you do get algae it takes really massive amounts of chlorine to kill the algae. And if you continue using trichlor pucks the CYA level will continue to go up, requiring even higher FC levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.