Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Test Kit results

1. Back To Top    #1

New Test Kit results

Hi, I just got my Taylor test kit in and since this is the first time I've ever really gotten accurate test results I thought I'd ask a few questions:

The pool is really pretty clear and nice, though with the weather it has dropped from a nice 85 to about 72 degrees.
    I am using TriChlor tablets right now since I have them and I have a feeder in my plumbing.

PH: 7.0 ppm
    TA: 100 ppm
    FC: 10.8 ppm
    CC: .4 ppm
    CH: 20 ppm
    CYA: 2.6 ppm

1. Calculator says to add 106oz of Borax to bring up the PH, will that bring my TA up to much ?
    2. Looks like I have lots of Free Chlorine, and not enough CC, will shocking help that ? (I'll shock with the bags from the pools store since I have a bunch of them left over from last season).
    3. And it looks like I need to address CH and CYA ?
    Pool: IG - Vinyl - 15k gallons - 16x32 3-5' depth
    Pump: Hayward Superpump - 1-1/2 HP
    Filter: Hayward Sand - 300lb with 62gpm flow rate.
    Chlorinator: None, using Chlorine bleach only

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Test Kit results

1) Only raise the PH to 7.2. It should drift up slowly from there on its own.
    2) You want CC to be zero. Your CC level is actually too high. I would wait and see if CC is lower tomorrow afternoon before shocking.
    3) There is no reason to add calcium to a vinyl liner pool. CYA, on the other hand, can not be 2.6. The test reads in 10s down to 20, so something went wrong there.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    CYA, on the other hand, can not be 2.6. The test reads in 10s down to 20, so something went wrong there.
    Retested today and results are:
    FC: 11.6
    CC: .4
    Ph: 7.2
    TA: 100
    CYA: its below the 100 mark so I am estimating at about 120

Can I assume that the FC is up at 11.6 because the CYA is so high? I wish I would not have bought the darn $90 25# pail of pucks, that can only be hurting the CYA count. I have about 2/3 of the pail left to use! If I keep using them, will I have any chance of getting the CYA down?

BTW, the pool is crystal clear at the moment...

4. Back To Top    #4

Retested CYA a couple of times just to be sure and I got a consistent 100ppm on both tests...

5. Back To Top    #5

The pucks you are using will add more CYA with every one you drop in the pool. CYA does not dissipate, the only way it gets lower is through backwashing, splash out and pool draining/refilling.
    27' round AG
    Hayward Matrix 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Hayward S210T Sand Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

The CYA test can read around 100, even when the CYA level is much higher than 100. I suggest doing the CYA test again, only this time mix equal amounts of pool water and tap water, do the CYA test on the mixture, and multiply the result by two. That will give you a much better idea of CYA is around 120, or is actually much higher.

If CYA is actually around 120-150 then FC at 11.6 is a good FC level.

CYA levels of 100+ can be very problematic. You can get by as long as nothing goes wrong, but if you do get algae it takes really massive amounts of chlorine to kill the algae. And if you continue using trichlor pucks the CYA level will continue to go up, requiring even higher FC levels.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks! Now if I could only find someone who needs some Pucks

8. Back To Top    #8

Ebay... lol
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

9. Back To Top    #9

You can save them and use them for when you open in the spring and levels may be low and need to come up, or for when you're on vacation if your cya level is low enough to tolerate some more cya.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits