Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: From a local, repsected pool dealers webpage...

1. Back To Top    #1

From a local, repsected pool dealers webpage...

Q: How much is too much stabilizer?

A: A common myth in the pool industry claims that too much Stabilizer (Cyanuric Acid, CYA) in pool water "locks-up" the free available chlorine residual. Chemically, this is not accurate. The free available chlorine residual kills microorganisms with CYA levels up to 500 ppm. Minimum CYA level is 30 - 40 ppm, acceptable is 30 - 200 ppm for residential pools.
    24' AG Doughboy w/ 5'8 dish bottom, CWII DE Filter, 1.5 hayward 2 speed pump, Aquatrol SWG.

2. Back To Top    #2

Coastalish 'down easter'

Re: From a local, repsected pool dealers webpage...

Sure, they say that up to 200 is fine, but they're also the ones who sell the chems to 'fix' the problems 200 ppm cya can cause
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3
    East Texas

At least that explains why those folks walk out of the pool store with a case of powdered shock under each arm.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Can I ask what your source is for this? British Columbia health authorities recently started testing for CYA as part of their inspections due to the problem of "chlorine lock". They close your pool if they find CYA over 80. Not a problem for me, since the only time I see CYA that high in anything is hot tubs using trichlor pucks, and usually by the time I reach 80 CYA it's due for a drain anyway (due to high TDS).
    * Responsible for the operation of 21 semi-private pools and spas at 11 locations, varying from 1,900L to 20,000L spas and from 13,000L to 200,000L pools.

5. Back To Top    #5
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

I just did. At least three places have the frst line verbatim. So the source is likely one of their vendors..... Bioguard is my hunch.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6
    Silver Spring, MD

If you can handle some semi-advanced chemistry, you should take a look at this post, which explores the chlorine/CYA relationship. The sanitizing ability of chlorine can be maintained as the CYA level rises as long as you proportionately increase the chlorine level. Of course, at high CYA levels various side effects make that impractical.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School