Chili Recipe?

Butterfly

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 30, 2007
South Carolina
Hey, we're having a chilly snap :shock: , high 30's for SC, and chili sounds good!...but, sure could use some tried and true recipes from YOU! My chili is the same old, same old chili I have made for years and we are ready to bust out and find a new recipe! What is YOUR favorite? Please share and give us some choices for dinner next week!! Thanks in advance, from the family :)

Joyce

ok i will give you my recipe

go in your pantry
find the can that sais cambles chunky chilly
find can opener
twist
pour in to bowels
heat up in microwave 30 seconds a bowl,

enjoy.

:roll: :lol:

One thing I've done that adds a really great flavor to chili is to smoke it for an hour or so.

Cook the chili as normal then place the pot inside your smoker and smoke for an hour with your favorite wood. I used hickory and it gave the chili a great flavor. I was actually surprised that so much of the smoke flavor made it's way into the chili.

You can't go wrong using the Wick Fowler's chili mix. You can find it at most grocery stores. Follow the directions and then adjust the recipe to your own tastes.

Here's one... surely not Texas Chili Cook-Off chili, but we like it a lot, and I get a lot of requests for the recipe when I take it somewhere!

It makes a bunch

3# ground beef
1-2 onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 bell pepper, optional
(here is the secret ingredient)
3 packs McCormick's chili seasoning ( ;) )
1-28 oz can Tomato sauce
1-16 oz can diced tomatoes
1 can rotel tomatoes (tomatoes with green chilies)
2 cans chili beans, optional

Brown beef and veggies; drain. Add everything else and simmer at least an hour. (I put it in the crock pot all day)
Serve plain or over tortilla chips, fritos, rice, ... A few chopped onions on top and a little shredded cheddar is nice, too! GREAT on hot dogs.

Has just enough kick to be interesting without being too hot for the kiddos.

I have a completely different type of Chili- for a change of pace.

Aloha Chili- (kind of a sweet and sour version)

2lbs gound beef
chopped onion- to taste
1 (15 oz) can kidney beans-
-rinsed and drained
1 can pork and beans (16 0z)
undrained
1 (20oz) can pineapple chunks(or tidbits)
1 C. ketchup
1/4 C. packed brown sugar
1/4 C. vinegar

Brown beef and onion and drain. Pour beef mix and all remaining ingred. into crockpot. Simmer for 3 hours or longer.
Always better on day 2- We enjoy it with corn bread and a salad.

Hey! Thanks for the replies!

SeanB, Can't get to our grill right now :oops: to smoke, but I will try to find Wick Fowler's chili mix today.

JohnT, the white chili sounds like a hit, too! I had forgotten about Taste of Home...they are great. DH won't eat chili more than every two weeks or so, unless it's on a hot dog :? and then it's "where's the chili?" :shock:

Grace, your recipe sounds like mine 8) except that I use red kidney beans (or pinto beans)! I haven't tried it in the crock pot, but I will!

Andiejj, hum, DH has a case in the fridge in the garage.....Mic Light be okay to try in that? :wink: ..."for the liquid", you do mean to put it in the pot, right? :twisted:

RT, My Campbell cans seem to have the new pop tops!...no can opener needed! Yea, we keep cans of everything for backup!

Here's my plan, Gonna try to find Wick Fowler's seasoning and use mostly Grace's recipe w/ Andiejj's 'liquid'. :shock:

I'm saving that white chili from JohnT for next week!

Thanks a bunch. Joyce

Blessed- with a pool said:
I have a completely different type of Chili- for a change of pace.

Aloha Chili- (kind of a sweet and sour version)

2lbs gound beef
chopped onion- to taste
1 (15 oz) can kidney beans-
-rinsed and drained
1 can pork and beans (16 0z)
undrained
1 (20oz) can pineapple chunks(or tidbits)
1 C. ketchup
1/4 C. packed brown sugar
1/4 C. vinegar

Brown beef and onion and drain. Pour beef mix and all remaining ingred. into crockpot. Simmer for 3 hours or longer.
Always better on day 2- We enjoy it with corn bread and a salad.

Hey, BWAP, this sounds great, too! :) Boy am I getting hungry! (Too funny and off topic, but DD and grand girls in HI sent a pkg yesterday and one item was a pineapple candle!) I will make sure they get this recipe because it really sounds like kids will love it, too!

BTW, I'm printing all the recipes :) .I better have some lunch before I go to Wally World, you know what they say about shopping when you are hungry :p

Thanks!

Joyce

What you need is to get a recipe book by the El Paso Chile Company. There you will find THE best chili recipe ever: Park's West Texas Democrat Chili. Forget ground meat! This is made west Texas style with stew beef, roasted peppers, and nopalitos (cactus leaves). It takes about 5 hours to make, but I guarantee you will never go back to ground meat chili again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey SeanB, two stores later and no Wick Fowler's chili mix :oops: Guess I'll try online to find some after a couple more stores to check! What store do you find it?

F500, that Old El Paso makes good stuff, so their chili must be great! Your description of Park's West Texas Democrat Chili sounds like it would be good for lumber jacks or cattle branders or the like......but, I will try it and report back. Sure hope I don't need a wheel barrel to get to the 'puter :wink: ......BTW, where in the world would someone on the east coast find the 'castus leaves'? Is it considered an herb that I could find in a store, or do I have to find someone out west to send some cacti stuff here? :shock:

I'm learning a lot about chili! :p

jjparrish said:
Hey SeanB, two stores later and no Wick Fowler's chili mix :oops: Guess I'll try online to find some after a couple more stores to check! What store do you find it?

F500, that Old El Paso makes good stuff, so their chili must be great! Your description of Park's West Texas Democrat Chili sounds like it would be good for lumber jacks or cattle branders or the like......but, I will try it and report back. Sure hope I don't need a wheel barrel to get to the 'puter :wink: ......BTW, where in the world would someone on the east coast find the 'castus leaves'? Is it considered an herb that I could find in a store, or do I have to find someone out west to send some cacti stuff here? :shock:

I'm learning a lot about chili! :p

I get it at Kroger's. Maybe it's a regional item. Here's a place that sells it online though. http://www.foodlocker.com/twoalchilmix.html

There is also another brand, don't remember the name, that comes in a little paper bag that's very good.

jjparrish said:
BTW, where in the world would someone on the east coast find the 'castus leaves'? Is it considered an herb that I could find in a store, or do I have to find someone out west to send some cacti stuff here? :shock:

Nopalitos are commonly found in the Mexican food aisle of major grocery stores. They look like green chiles.

Thanks SeanB, I am on my way to Krogers to try and find the Wick Fowler Chili seasoning.

F500, the Old El Paso Chile cook book sounds great but costs about $20! Know anywhere I could find a copy of that recipe?

Joyce

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.