Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Yellow spots on pool floor

1. Back To Top    #1

Yellow spots on pool floor

Hello, it has been a while since I have posted. I have a SWG and I am wondering if it causing me a problem, I am getting yellowish tan spots on the floor of the pool. I have tried to brush them off, but they do not come off easily. Would a pumice stone work?

I went to the local pool store and they told me it is a yellow algae problem and I need to shock the pool. Is this some type of organic stain? My chemistry is pretty much in balance.
    12k Gal. Kidney IG pool (Built around 1964 screened enclosure?), Tahoe Blue Diamond Brite (Added 12/2007), 1 hp motor, Sta-Rite P2 pump, Hayward C900 paper cartridge filter, Resilience SWG PSC-3 SCC 25 Element, Dolphin Robatic Cleaner, Lamotte ColorQ Pro 11, Taylor K2006C, Lamotte Tracer PockeTester PH/TDS/SAL, purptiger

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Yellow spots on pool floor

Post a set of test results.

Also it'd be a good idea to run the OCLT.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

tOK! Here are y readings as of this am,
    FC 3.5
    PH 7.4
    TA 80
    CH 350
    CYA 70
    86 degrees
    I have borax at 50 and salt at 3500. I am running my SWG at 50 % for 10 hours.
    12k Gal. Kidney IG pool (Built around 1964 screened enclosure?), Tahoe Blue Diamond Brite (Added 12/2007), 1 hp motor, Sta-Rite P2 pump, Hayward C900 paper cartridge filter, Resilience SWG PSC-3 SCC 25 Element, Dolphin Robatic Cleaner, Lamotte ColorQ Pro 11, Taylor K2006C, Lamotte Tracer PockeTester PH/TDS/SAL, purptiger

4. Back To Top    #4

Those numbers don't look bad. Have you had to up your swcg percentage or pump run time lately?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Adding to bama's question, do you have a tri-chlor puck you can place on the yelloe spot to see if it goes away. If it doesn't, do you know how to use vitamin C (crush the tablets up in a sock and hold the sock on the stain for a few minutes) to test for metals?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

No I have not had to change my pump time or SWG %. Any idea what the stains are? I need to try the puck idea or vitamin c.