Skimmer and Return locations

armstrr

LifeTime Supporter
May 11, 2010
Sarnia, Ontario Canada
I am about to order a pool kit and wanted to make sure I am choosing the best location for the returns and skimmers. I have attached a photo of a sketch that I thought represented a good layout. I am open to suggestions if I have missed anything. I have included the predominant wind direction. that determined (to my thinking) where the skimmers will go. I also thought it made sense to place a skimmer down stream of the slide. i imagine that is where a lot of additional debris will find its way into the pool. (i have 4 kids)

details: 20x43' double roman with walk in steps and swim out.
diving board and slide

will internet kit resellers give me panels with the skimmers cut out in the locations i choose? same goes for the lights. they are also on the sketch.

thanks in advance!

Attachments

• poolpic.JPG
    poolpic.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 291
It looks pretty good in terms of flow/ circular motion. I'd think about moving the stair return to the right side of the steps (looking at the pool from the shallow end) and perhaps adding another SR on the left side of the deep end roman end, to keep debris from collecting under the diving board. You might consider either adding a 3rd low return or moving the one by the light more towards the shallow end.

I don't think you'll be able to find a skimmer panel that will fit between the roman end and the radius corner :( The skimmer panels come in left, right and center locations for an 8' panel. otherwise, I believe that your other option is a 4' panel with a center hole. With the lights, it's similar, you can get a 4' or an 8' panel with a center hole. You can always use a combination of smaller panels to put the lights where you want them - or, at least, have them symmetrically located.

Please get back to me with your thoughts on this. :)

thanks Ted!

just to recap/clarify.

1 the stair return move makes sense to me.

2. you suggest an additional surface return in the deep end to the left of the diving board. i put that in the curved section? facing the upper left skimmer.

3. thanks for the info on the pool wall cut outs. if i have can't center the lights or get panels with the skimmers in the locations that work best, could I just get solid panels and cut the locations out with a mini grinder? i assume this would simply add a bit of filing and paint touch up, correct? (any particular type of paint or just a rust paint?)

attached is an updated picture with the changes suggested.

Thanks again!

(edit: oops the stair return is not moved in the picutre, but it will be)

Attachments

• poolpic2.JPG
    poolpic2.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 226
No problem :)

#2 - yup, but point it into the curve of the roman end so as to 'sweep' the curve of surface debris and force it back into the flow created by the SR above the LR in the deep end corner.

#3 You can order blank panels and cut them out (I've had to do it a number of times). Painting them with ~ Rustolium TM is fine - there is also a spray on galvanizer that can be used. I still don't think there is enough room in that corner to install a skimmer. :(

The new LR is not where I was thinking to place it. I'd like to see low circulation in the shallow end. If you don't add the 3rd LR but move the light side LR closer to the shallow end and aim it at the left corner of the shallow end roman end - it should create a circular flow, at the bottom of the pool, which ~ matches the top flow.

If you need clarification on what I've suggested - feel free to ask.

Well, the pool is going in. There were some changes to the layout of the swimout and skimmers an the slide is a left entry and we went with an inwall ladder. The pb came up with a layout that seems to basically agree with the thoughts depicted above. Thankfully he he extremely open to revise based on my requests. I'll see how the plumbing went tonight agter work and update.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.