Chemical Order

Jun 11, 2011
Maud, Texas
This year, I started with pool store instructions and, after a frusterating week, found this place. I'm just wondering, for future refrence, what order should different chemicals be added in? Also, what chemicals have to be added alone? I know this is prettyr vague, but just wondering....

I usually have to add ph plus, cya, calcium, alkalinity plus, and, of course, shock.

There are a lot of special cases. A simplified list is something like:
---
If TA is below 50, raise TA to 50
If PH is way out of range, adjust PH
If CYA is way too high, lower CYA
---
Chlorine
PH
CYA
Raise TA if needed
CH, adjust CH on it's own day
Lower TA if needed
---

SPrater1270 said:
Thanks! I've always just did what the pool store said - and bought their stuff.... But their solution to anything is to buy more stuff!! I'm going to buy a good test kit and follow advice from here!!

You will be surprised at just how fast it all begins to make sense. Then you will be amazed at how easy it all becomes. Then you will wonder how other people can stand to keep their pools the way the do when it is really not that hard to have a totally clean sparkling gem of a pool. And, weirdly, it is cheaper.

anonapersona said:
SPrater1270 said:
Thanks! I've always just did what the pool store said - and bought their stuff.... But their solution to anything is to buy more stuff!! I'm going to buy a good test kit and follow advice from here!!

You will be surprised at just how fast it all begins to make sense. Then you will be amazed at how easy it all becomes. Then you will wonder how other people can stand to keep their pools the way the do when it is really not that hard to have a totally clean sparkling gem of a pool. And, weirdly, it is cheaper.

anona, exactly :goodjob: :party:

JasonLion said:
There are a lot of special cases. A simplified list is something like:
---
If TA is below 50, raise TA to 50
If PH is way out of range, adjust PH
If CYA is way too high, lower CYA
---
Chlorine
PH
CYA
Raise TA if needed
CH, adjust CH on it's own day
Lower TA if needed
---
I always start with CYA as so many people are over stabilised if water needs replacing why waste good chemicals.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.