Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chemical Order

1. Back To Top    #1

Chemical Order

This year, I started with pool store instructions and, after a frusterating week, found this place. I'm just wondering, for future refrence, what order should different chemicals be added in? Also, what chemicals have to be added alone? I know this is prettyr vague, but just wondering....

I usually have to add ph plus, cya, calcium, alkalinity plus, and, of course, shock.
    24' round AG, sand filter, 1.5 HP pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chemical Order

There are a lot of special cases. A simplified list is something like:
    ---
    If TA is below 50, raise TA to 50
    If PH is way out of range, adjust PH
    If CYA is way too high, lower CYA
    ---
    Chlorine
    PH
    CYA
    Raise TA if needed
    CH, adjust CH on it's own day
    Lower TA if needed
    ---
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! I've always just did what the pool store said - and bought their stuff.... But their solution to anything is to buy more stuff!! I'm going to buy a good test kit and follow advice from here!!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by SPrater1270
    Thanks! I've always just did what the pool store said - and bought their stuff.... But their solution to anything is to buy more stuff!! I'm going to buy a good test kit and follow advice from here!!
    You will be surprised at just how fast it all begins to make sense. Then you will be amazed at how easy it all becomes. Then you will wonder how other people can stand to keep their pools the way the do when it is really not that hard to have a totally clean sparkling gem of a pool. And, weirdly, it is cheaper.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by anonapersona
    Quote Originally Posted by SPrater1270
    You will be surprised at just how fast it all begins to make sense. Then you will be amazed at how easy it all becomes. Then you will wonder how other people can stand to keep their pools the way the do when it is really not that hard to have a totally clean sparkling gem of a pool. And, weirdly, it is cheaper.
    anona, exactly
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

I am beginning to understand better already. I wish I had found this site years ago!!! (or even knew to look for it!!) I could have saved lots of time and $$$!!!

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    There are a lot of special cases. A simplified list is something like:
    ---
    If TA is below 50, raise TA to 50
    If PH is way out of range, adjust PH
    If CYA is way too high, lower CYA
    ---
    Chlorine
    PH
    CYA
    Raise TA if needed
    CH, adjust CH on it's own day
    Lower TA if needed
    ---
    I always start with CYA as so many people are over stabilised if water needs replacing why waste good chemicals.