Can't get pool clear!!

Jun 11, 2011
Maud, Texas
In the past, I have followed what the pool place said to do, got all the levels right, and then turned off the filter overnight. Everything would drop, I'd vacuum and it would be perfect. It would only take a couple of days. So easy. This year, however, it's all messed up.

First off, my pH - which is usually low - was too high. No big deal, I just added the muriatic acid and it was fine. I did everything the pool place said - including floc (which I had never used) - got it all balanced. But when I shut off my filter, nothing fell. So, I continued to wait. Slowly, green globs started floating to the surface until it was nearly all covered. I added a lot of shock, it got all foamy, and the globs kinda disentegrated. But it stayed a cloudy green. And my pH fell.

We were having filter pressure problems, and the pool place recommended changing the sand. We did that and the pressure has stayed constant (so far). But, still really cloudy. The chlorine level was staying at 0, though. I was running out of shock (and $$$) so I started looking online for cheaper solutions. I found this place. I decided to use bleach. While my husband went to get the bleach, I added some pH plus. WHen my husband got back from the store, I poured 108 oz in (what the pool calc said) and nothing happened. Later I poured the rest of the 174 oz jug in. I just tested the water using the Wal-Mart hth strips and here's what I got -

TH - 200
FC - 2
pH - 8.4
TA - 120
CYA - 30-50

It's now a cloudy greenish color.
Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 100_4465a.jpg
    100_4465a.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 490
You didn't come any where close to shocking the pool. See the CYA/Chlorine chart in pool school. Add enuff bleach to reach shock level for your CYA level of say 40. Use the pool calculator to determine your gallons for how much to add. HOLD it there! Not a one shot solution. Run pump 24/7. Read shocking your pool and look into one of the recommended test kits. Only way to know if you're measuring FC above 5 or so to hold shock level.

SPrater1270 said:
Ok - I just looked at the chart & used the calculator and it seems like I need to add another 1.2 jugs of chlorine. I just added some muriatic acid so do I need to wait?
Yes. You should wait about thirty minutes after adding MA before you add the chlorine. They do not play well together.

Well, I went ahead and added both 174 oz. bottles of bleach at about 2:40. I tested at 3:15 and the FC was off the chart. I just tested again (4:45) and got this:

TH - 200
FC - 5 (just a little darker than on the box, but this is the closest)
pH - 7.5 (muriatic acid worked perfectly!! the calc rocks!!)
TA - 120
CYA - 30-50

No change in color, but headed to the store for more bleach....

Hi. What kind of test are you using? If your using standard drop tests you're not going to be able to test for chlorine levels above 5 very accurately. With cya at 30-50 you should be shocking at 15. You could try diluting your test sample using the shot glass method. I would do a 2:1 dilute to at least get a ballpark reading. This is done by taking 1 shot glass full of pool water with 2 shot glasses full of distilled water (the kind you buy at the store for drinking). Pour them into a cup, then test for FC. Like I said, this is only a ballpark figure and will just get you started. In the mean time, I would definitely get a taylor test kit with which you can test for higher levels of FC. You are also gonna have to hold the level at 15 until the water clears, and the FC holds over night. You may need to brush or vacuum and clean the filter during shocking, and test frequently, maybe 3 times a day. After seeing the pic, I can say that it may take from a few days to maybe a week or so to clear. Also, I noticed that after you added the muriatic acid, the PH dropped but the TA stayed the same. This is interesting, since usually TA will drop along with the PH after acid. Just a thought.

I just went through the same process - it takes a while! The FC number is dropping quickly because it's killing all the algae. I think I went through at least 30 jumbo jugs of bleach - but my pool had a ton of leaves and had been sitting unused for two years. I thought it would NEVER end. It did though! You'll get there!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah - I'm still getting leaves out - they tend to hide and you can't see them!! And they have algae on them. But, now that I'm using bleach, I seem to be making progress, at least. I read your thread yesterday morning before I started the bleaching process and it gave me hope!! I've got to get more, though. Our little local stores are out of the big jugs!! Time to head to town!!

Ok - never made it town for more bleach yesterday, but used up some of my remaining shock supply twice, in addition to vacuuming. That was interesting, since I can't see the bottom!! Last night, the FC was off the chart and this morning it was still @ 5.... So I guess I've almost got all the algae gone!! I'm going to vacuum again here in a little while.

In the past, I've had to shut off the filter in order to let everything drop and vacuum it all out. So my question is - when is it safe to do that? I think all the living algae is gone, but I'm not sure. I don't want to go backwards!!

This is what it looks like now - no green!!! :mrgreen:

Attachments

• 100_4481a.jpg
    100_4481a.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 356
Looks like your getting there :) Sounds like you had a lot of leaves and debris, so this could take some time, but it will clear. I wouldn't shut off the filter at all. You should be leaving it run 24/7 while shocking. Whatever isn't heavy enough to fall to the bottom, your filter should be able to get. What are your latest numbers? As far as bleach, I would check the local pool store if you have one. They'll usually sell bottles of liquid "pool shock" which is the same as the groc store bleach only it has a higher concentration, usually 12% instead of 5 or 6%. You can use the bleach calc to figure accordingly. Like I said before, it will GREATLY help you to get a test kit that can test for higher chlorine levels. You will never know for sure what your nightly FC drop is otherwise. A consistent FC level is the KEY to a quicker cleanup.

LedHead155 said:
This picture give me hope... I have been maintaining my Fc levels around 14 and have no visual improvement in one week.

ahhh, but you just got to 0 CC yesterday according to your test results, and it's unclear as to whether you passed the overnight test or not yet. Give it some time now that you're there, and if you're actually still shocking because it hasn't changed visually (I would be) you probably should bump it to 16ppm as 14ppm isn't enough for 45ppm CYA. It's possible you still have some algae even if CC is 0. If it's green, you still got algae. Algae is green. Dead algae is grey/white.

Give it a week of no chloramines and let the filter work. It will clear to splarkly, but not till it filters out all the dead algae. It just takes time.

Very true, but it has been under .5 for three days, I have not officially passed the Overnight FC test as of yet. I kind of gotg frustrated at teh beginning and s;lightly negelcted, I am over 30 bottles of bleach so far as well.

Im just frustrated. I need more POP.

Dont get frustrated, I just went through the same process recently and the outcome was well worth the bleach I used. I ended up shocking for over 2 weeks before the pool was smart enough to pass the overnight test, it has been smooth sailing ever since. Hang in there, keep the FC at shock level or just above shock level and you will win the battle. Mine took so long beacuse I had a hard time keeping my FC level up due to work.

I'm lucky that I am off during the summer.... :cool:

Still looks the same - grey/blue color. I'm getting so impatient..... I'm going to turm off the filter tonight and see where that gets me. I know some have said not to, but that is the only way it has cleared for the past 5 summers.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.