Please Help Floc has been a nightmare

Jun 11, 2011
I have a 24 ft AG pool 4 1/2 ft deep. I have used all the pool store supplies.... My pool wasn't covered last year :( So when went to get the pool ready it was a swampy mess. I had gotten all my chemicals where they should be per the pool store but my pool was still green. They then said I should floc it. I flocked it 3 days ago. I still could not see the bottom after 48 hours so tried to hand vac best I could. I shocked the pool last night because levels were low. This morning it green and you can see particles floating. I had my pump off for the 48 hours while doing the flock. The particles (green and white) are very small and I am afraid the filter is not going to catch them..... HELP PLEASE

Welcome to TFP!

Floc won't help at all if you have live algae in the pool, which apparently you do.

The first thing to do is to post a full set of water test results. There may be some levels that need adjusting before you can finish going after the algae.

Free Avail Chlorine 0.3
Total Chlorine 1.02
Combined chlorine 0.72
total alk 58 - which they had me lower it was too high
cal hardness 140
cy acid 10
sat index _0.7

I have used 3 bottles of algeacide before doing the floc.

I appreciate all the help I can get. I am about at my wits end.

the PH is 7.4

Do I need to just let it sit without running filter(sand) and hope that the rest of the floc will settle? I have tiny particles floating around that you can see. I was thinking of doing the pantyhose over the skimmer basket thing and running the filter. I am waiting now for the water to fill up to the skimmer. I have wasted so much water vac to waste.

Concentrate on killing the algae. After that, if there is still floc left you can let it settle and vacuum it up. For now, once the pool is full again, run the pump/filter all the time until everything is cleaned up.

I have run the filter all day and also did the skimmer sock which had to be cleaned about every 30 min today. It still has a slight green tint but is SUPER cloudy. I added bleach on 2 seperate occasions today. I did not have my test kit yet :( Our pool store closes at noon. Hopefully someday soon I can the bottom.

yeahhhhh I dont have a green pool... I have a very cloudy blue pool, you cant see maybe 6 inches past the top. I feel like I am stuck I have ordered my test kit and I dont have it yet. Hopefully Tuesday it will be here so in the morning we will be taking water to the pool store. Any suggestions on the cloudy water??

Any suggestions on the cloudy water??
Yep. Stay the course! :lol:

It's perfectly normal. The cloudiness can be both due to some remaining organics (algae) or dead stuff that the filter simply hasn't had enough time to remove from your pool.

Vacuum as much as you can. Clean the filter often as it will probably clog up quickly.

Each evening, put 1 LARGE jug of Clorox in your pool until your test kit arrives. That'll kill more remaining algae and speed up the clearing process.

Post up your numbers as soon as the test kit arrives and we'll help you get back to a sparkling pool.

Posting a pic of your cloudy water is actually very helpful if you can.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I will post a pic soon. I put 1 1/2 large jugs of clorox yesterday morning and I also added 1 1/2 at evening since we had really hot temps and then some rain. Should I add more bleach tonight. I put the easy vac in and I'm going to let it run the most of the day. Thank you all soooo much for your help.

shock,shock and more shock. I have been running the pump 24 hours a day. I still haven't gotten my test kit, so I went to the pool store and had them test. Their printer was down so the lady wrote some of the values.

Free chlorine 0.1
TA 79
PH 7.1
CH 134
CY Acid 8

She said my combined chlorine is high.

shock,shock and more shock
You are not shocking your pool. You have no chlorine in the pool. I can't tell you how high to bring the chlorine back up because that CYA test result is bogus.

I suggest you put in one large jug of Clorox each evening until you can test yourself.

Have you been reading pool school? Read "How to shock your pool" You will need to follow that process once you can test.

yeah I have been reading it. There is some things I still dont understand. Between work,kids,house and pool reading has been a lil slow, but I am reading some everynight. Hopefully soon I will have my test kit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.