Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about muriatic acid

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about muriatic acid

I've been testing my pool and the pH and TA has been high. I have added muriatic acid for 5 days in a row. I was wondering if this was normal for a newly filled pool. I have a Pentair (Rainbow Lifeguard) Pool and Spa Test Kit. I just started writing down the test results yesterday.

6-10
    Chlorine 3+ (my test only goes to 3)
    pH 7.8
    Acid Demand 6 drops added 2 cups & 1oz acid
    TA 360

6-11
    Chlorine 3+
    pH 7.8
    Acid Demand 4
    TA 330

Do you think my results would be off if the test was old? I have new strips and they show high on pH & TA, but they are strips.
    Intex 15' Metal Frame AG Pool
    5310 gallons
    Intex 2650 Gallon Sand Filter Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about muriatic acid

Your TA is very high, presumably because your fill water TA is very high. That means you are going to need to use a lot of acid until the TA level comes down to something more reasonable.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Should I test my fill water? It was well water.
    5310 gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

It isn't essential at this point, but it would be nice to have a TA reading from your well water.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I just test it and it was 390. We live on a farm and the well is really old, drilled to only 80 ft. It tastes really good tho!
    I put powdered stabilizer (Regal brand) in a sock in the skimmer and let it dissolve for a couple days, but then I changed filters. I wonder if I changed the filter too quick and didn't get all of the stabilizer in. I read somewhere here that I should have left the filter in for a week afterward. I only have a strip test for CYA and it just started showing more than 0 yesterday.
    5310 gallons