Pump gaining psi fast

Jun 6, 2011
I have an ec 40 filter and 1 hp pump. I didnt initially set it up this year but it had 5lbs of DE put in instead of 4. After a couple hours the pressure was already increasing and the filter basket wasnt even sucking debris off the top of the pool into it. So i did some research and cleaned the filter and emptied out DE. I put about 3.5 lbs back in like I had read online hoping the problem was from to much DE. The initial psi was 20 and it was flowing good back into the pool and sucking good through the filter basket. About 2 hrs later I went out and it was already at 25 psi and had almost no pressure going back into the pool. I tried bumping it and it went down to 22 psi. About 30 minutes later is was back up to 25 psi and wont go below that. I am going to pull the filter apart and try cleaning the fingers since they were not before it was put in this year. Does anyone have any ideas on what is causing this and how to solve it?

What does your water look like?

A DE filter can filter debris out of the water so quickly that it can sometimes need backwashing as often as every half hour. Once the water is clear it should go back to working normally.

You can also have that problem if there is way too much DE in the filter, or if it hasn't been opened up and throughly cleaned out in more than a year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.