Intex salt system with big pool???????

Jun 11, 2011
I am so torn!! More so since finding this great forum and reading through the Pool School. Anyway here is my situation. I have a above ground pool(sunk in the ground) that holds 16,860 gallons with a 1.5 HP Hayward pump pushing 70 GPM, 4200 GPH.

My question is will the Intex saltwater system work with my pool? Is it worth it?

One of the item descriptions state "Requires a filter pump with a flow rate between 500- 4,000 Gallons per hour"...mine is pushing 4200 GPH. Not that much difference but still. The chart on the intex box that tells how much salt to add goes up to 14,364 gallons, the biggest pool they sell.

I am DONE spending $$$ on commercial chemicals and have been holding out on buying that $100+ bucket of clorine pucks from Home Depot, it just hits me in the gut every time. Since reading the BBB article on here I am at a total crossroad. Go salt or leave it alone.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!

Welcome to TFP!

I highly recommend getting a SWG. How an Intex SWG will work with your pool depends on how much sun your pool gets and how hot the weather gets. Lots of sun and high temperatures require a larger SWG. If you have some shade and live somewhere temperate it should be alright. If you have direct sunlight all day and it gets wildly hot it won't be enough for your pool. There are two easy ways to solve that problem. You could get two Intex units and run them in parallel, or you could get another brand of SWG that makes larger units.

Thanks for the reply!!!!! I live in Memphis so a cool day to us would make some drop out. So what pool temp are we talking about? Am I going to need any other chemicals besides salt if I convert? If I need a larger unit what brand/models would you recommend and best place to buy?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I do this right.

The Hayward AquaTrol would be a full step up from an Intex in quality, and it also includes a pump timer.

Mostly you just need salt, though you will probably also need to raise your CYA level a little.

JL........Done some looking and found a good price on a Hayward AquaTrol "RJ" model. My above ground is sunk to where the return jet is about even, slightly above, with the gravel bed around my pool. From the ebay add:
"2 cell mounting options "RJ" models mount the cell directly to the pool return jet (on the outside of the pool). "HP" models include fittings for hose or PVC pipe connections."

I did not find any "hp" models. If this mounts straight out from the jet I can swing it. If not how hard would it be to rig connections? Also concerned with how much cable or whatever is used to connect this to the box since my pump, sand filter is about 3-4' away from the intake jet.

Any other links, pics of system hookups would be very helpful!!!! Thanks!!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.