Trichlor safety question

guamguy

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 26, 2010
Guam, USA
This may sound like a dumb question, but I have never used any trichlor since I've had my pool, so please bear with me. I've got a couple of spots on the floor of the pool, I don't think it's black algae, but I want to confirm. I've read on here about rubbing the spots with a trichlor tab to see if it goes away. Is it safe to hold trichlor in your bare hands when in the water, or should I wear gloves? I've got to run to Home Depot for some lumber, and they sell single trichlor tabs, so no need to buy a bunch of them.

I have handled them in such a fashion without ill effects, but it would be best to maybe wear some nitrile gloves or something similar when handling them.

There seems to be an aversion to touching tri-chlor pucks. I can't think of anything in them that is particularly harmful.

I do not suggest having one for dinner nor toting one around in your bathing suit pocket for an afternoon. However, while I don't use them, I can't recall seeing a "Do not Touch!" warning on any of the containers. Am I wrong?

I hope everyone takes reasonable precautions but not being able to pick up a puck in your bare hands (wet or dry) seems harmless enough to me.

That said, (somewhere around midnight) I have been known to swallow the worm in the tequila!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It's acidic chlorine so can be irritating. Those with tough hands probably won't notice it while those with sensitive skin might. Certainly, wash your hands afterwards if you do touch the Trichlor tabs. Note that the MSDS for most Trichlor products states the following:

Skin Contact: Dermal exposure can cause severe irritation and /or burns characterized by redness, swelling and scab formation. Repeated skin exposure may cause tissue destruction due to the corrosive nature of the product.

I got a small flake of trichlor on my skin once and boy did it sting for ages, even though I washed it off straightaway.

I know I'm sensitive to chemicals though. I can smell chloramines at 1000 paces - I'm not sure if that makes me just the right person or the wrong person to be looking after a pool!

There are several devices that will hold a tab for this purpose.
Example

ALGEE-GON.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I try to avoid touching the tabs. The chlorine can be absorbed into the skin and leave a smell for a long time. If you're handling them every day, then the smell will never go away. There is also the risk of secondary transfer, such as if you rub your eyes or face and the chlorine can get into more sensitive areas.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.