Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trichlor safety question

1. Back To Top    #1

Trichlor safety question

This may sound like a dumb question, but I have never used any trichlor since I've had my pool, so please bear with me. I've got a couple of spots on the floor of the pool, I don't think it's black algae, but I want to confirm. I've read on here about rubbing the spots with a trichlor tab to see if it goes away. Is it safe to hold trichlor in your bare hands when in the water, or should I wear gloves? I've got to run to Home Depot for some lumber, and they sell single trichlor tabs, so no need to buy a bunch of them.
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Trichlor safety question

I have handled them in such a fashion without ill effects, but it would be best to maybe wear some nitrile gloves or something similar when handling them.

3. Back To Top    #3

Sound like gloves are a wise idea. Thanks!
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

There seems to be an aversion to touching tri-chlor pucks. I can't think of anything in them that is particularly harmful.

I do not suggest having one for dinner nor toting one around in your bathing suit pocket for an afternoon. However, while I don't use them, I can't recall seeing a "Do not Touch!" warning on any of the containers. Am I wrong?

I hope everyone takes reasonable precautions but not being able to pick up a puck in your bare hands (wet or dry) seems harmless enough to me.

That said, (somewhere around midnight) I have been known to swallow the worm in the tequila!!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    That said, (somewhere around midnight) I have been known to swallow the worm in the tequila!!

6. Back To Top    #6

It's acidic chlorine so can be irritating. Those with tough hands probably won't notice it while those with sensitive skin might. Certainly, wash your hands afterwards if you do touch the Trichlor tabs. Note that the MSDS for most Trichlor products states the following:

Skin Contact: Dermal exposure can cause severe irritation and /or burns characterized by redness, swelling and scab formation. Repeated skin exposure may cause tissue destruction due to the corrosive nature of the product.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Those with tough hands probably won't notice it while those with sensitive skin might.
    Good point, Richard. I am outside working in the yard or using tools a lot and my hands are usually pretty calloused so I have never noticed any effect
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

I got a small flake of trichlor on my skin once and boy did it sting for ages, even though I washed it off straightaway.

I know I'm sensitive to chemicals though. I can smell chloramines at 1000 paces - I'm not sure if that makes me just the right person or the wrong person to be looking after a pool!
    90k litres, outdoor in ground pool, concrete, painted (I hate paint)
    Sta-Rite 5P2R 1.5 Hp pump, undersized sand filter (needs upgrading).

9. Back To Top    #9

There are several devices that will hold a tab for this purpose.
    Example

10. Back To Top    #10

That's an interesting tool. I've never seen something like that before.

11. Back To Top    #11

I've handled hundreds of them with no irritation, but my hands always smell of chlorine for a while afterward. Gloves will negate that.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

12. Back To Top    #12

That's the main issue with me really. After touching them, my hands smell likechlorine for a couple of days after.

13. Back To Top    #13

I try to avoid touching the tabs. The chlorine can be absorbed into the skin and leave a smell for a long time. If you're handling them every day, then the smell will never go away. There is also the risk of secondary transfer, such as if you rub your eyes or face and the chlorine can get into more sensitive areas.