Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does MPS lower CC & FC?

1. Back To Top    #1

Does MPS lower CC & FC?

I think the subject says it all, does MPS have an effect on the FC level as well as the CC level?

thanks Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Does MPS lower CC & FC?

No MPS does not directly affect the FC level. If CC is above zero MPS can eliminate some/most of the CC, thereby reducing chlorine consumption and indirectly raising the FC level. Keep in mind that MPS will read as CC on the test, so it might appear to raise CC when it really hasn't. If you use it frequently there is a special reagent you can get to eliminate MPS interference.

MPS is never needed in outdoor pools, as chlorine and sunlight take care of everything. But MPS can be very useful in indoor pools where it helps take out the CC that chlorine needs sunlight to deal with.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Does MPS lower CC & FC?

Thanks Jason, I know about the special test and have one, just wondering what it would do to the FC level, going through a bit of a problem here, was out of town much of this week and the chlorine injection pump stopped working while I was away. Now have a algae bloom and a pool party scheduled for tomorrow, CC of 3.5 last night at 6 pm, added 3 pounds of MPS, at 11 pm I had raised FC to 11.5 after adding 10 gallons of 6% bleach, this morning it is down to 7.5 (CYA much less than 20, was at 25 or so last week), off to buy some dichlor and bleach now.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~