Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Safe to circulate

1. Back To Top    #1

Safe to circulate

While I wait for parts to repair my filter I would like to circulate the water so I can at least try to keep the FC going. Would it harm the pump to just loop water in and out of the pump itself or would the water's contaminates foul it up? It's pretty green now but I'm trying to keep water moving and treatable.
    * 18' x 33' - 48" oval AGP - new liner Summer 2014
    * Hayward Pro Series S210T Top Mount Sand Filter
    * Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1 1/2 hp Pump Model SP5615
    (equipment on posts prior to summer 2014) Hayward PowerFlo 1 hp pump - Jacuzzi "Tidewater" 190L, sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Safe to circulate

All that sludge would go through the pump on its way to the filter anyway.

I see no harm in bypassing the filter. It's no different than setting a multiportt valve to citrculate.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

It is a miracle (for me) but I finally got the water high enough to circulate an extremely strong flow from the return. The pump seems to run at length without problems (unless the puck floater gets in front of the skimmer at which point I have to intervene to get the flow going again).

The pool is still a mess and I'm getting the dead stuff out as I can until filter parts arrive. The water is showing some signs of clearing up until I try to leaf rake the bottom at which point it all gets swirled around again

Is there something that can make the dead algae float to the top?

Also, FC is apparently zero by midday as CYA is also zero according to testing. Would it be futile to add CYA dosage per pool calculator before the filter gets brought back online or should I wait til that happens first?

Thanks again, progress is finally starting to happen despite the steps remaining. Things are starting to look up!
    * 18' x 33' - 48" oval AGP - new liner Summer 2014
    * Hayward Pro Series S210T Top Mount Sand Filter
    * Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1 1/2 hp Pump Model SP5615
    (equipment on posts prior to summer 2014) Hayward PowerFlo 1 hp pump - Jacuzzi "Tidewater" 190L, sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

You can try ProTeam System Support. It is kind of expensive to my way of thinking, but I have heard good things about it and it does float a lot of the debris to the surface.

I would wait to add CYA until you have the filter working.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School