Advice before I sign a contract....Oldsmar, FL

May 31, 2011
Oldsmar, FL
Interviewed a couple of builders and have received some quotes. Please provide me some constructive criticism.

Yeah, I promise pics....

16' X 28' gunite pool, sport style, deep in the middle, generally a rectangle with a bump out of one corner and a bump in of another. 4' Sun shelf/Baha step on one end swim out in the far corner. Coping and water line tile included. Krystalkrete finish inc. I gotta pay for fancy mosaic tile for the bottom, but installation is inc.

Excavation and dirt removal included
Electric from panel to pump inc.
Plumbing to pump inc.

Salt water generator
1hp variable speed Hayward pump with cartridge filter.
1 skimmer, four returns (one is a bubbler).
Non robot vacuum (Navigator)
Auto overflow What does an auto fill cost?
1 color LED fancy changy mood ring light

Price is a bit under 20K. Anything I'm overlooking? I'm gonna ask what it would cost to make the pool 30' or 32' long. Any idea what it should be?

They're willing to have the excavator scrape the deck site for me and then I'll have sand and pavers delivered. I can purchase end runs of pavers by the pallet for about a dollar a square foot and install them myself. I'm also planning on installing about 144' of 6' vinyl fence myself.

Thanx in advance

onerailunder said:
They're willing to have the excavator scrape the deck site for me ...

My main advice is get it (and any other promises) in writing - some years back I first heard the old saying, "If it isn't in writing, it wasn't said". Most every PB I dealt with didn't want to put much detail into their contract. I went back & forth with my salesman, and sure enough during the build the PB wasn't going to do something I asked about until I could show paper between his salesman and me. I think there is a tendency for salesman to say almost anything to make the sale, and hope the job goes well enough that the build crew won't mind picking up the little stuff, but if the job goes bad, you need the paper in hand.

My pool is 36' and I definitely need the two lights I had installed, if you do go longer you might also want to think about another light.

You might also want to consider putting in a footer in case you want to screen it in at a later date and do not skimp on the size of the equipment pad as you may want to add other equipment in the future like solar and heat pump. Get the plumbers to pre plumb for these. Definitely 2 lights. From what I read you may not be happy with the size of your baja shelf. IMHO if you are going to have one it should be a lot bigger and don't forget umbrella sleeves.

X2 on a bigger tanning shelf and more umbrella sleeves than you think you'd need. Your pool will be the approx size if mine and I do not think those numbers are out of line. Although you are in Florida and cost will vary with location. Ensure you have large final payment with the smaller payments as the build progresses. It will ensure the job is completed to your satisfaction and the builder does as the contract stipulates. Good luck and remember we love pics! :goodjob:

Thanx, I'll ask about a second light. Any idea what it should cost? Bigger pad for potential solar in future...check. I'll prolly discuss adding area to the sun/tanning shelf and see what it will cost. Yeah, lots of umbrella sleeves. I was actually thinking of adding a 4" sleeve for a potential basketball net, but I don't think there is any standard size for a post for a basketball hoop. I may just pic up a six foot long post and some pvc pipe that fits over it and fab it myself. I'm guessing 3' deep. Seems like I ought to do it while I'm doing fence post holes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.