Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Puck Chlorine With No CYA?

1. Back To Top    #1

Puck Chlorine With No CYA?

Is it available? I filled the pool and opened it yesterday. I put a couple stabilized pucks in on purpose to start getting the CYA up. The pucks are convenient, especially when we go on vacation. Are they sold w/o the stabilizer, or does putting them in puck form require the stabilizer to be added?
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Puck Chlorine With No CYA?

No, unfortunately there aren't any pucks that dissolve slowly and don't have any CYA in them. There are only a couple of ways to make chlorine stable enough to transport and none of them work that way.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, that is what I figured. Guess I will have to ask the neighbor to dump bleach in every other day or so again while we are gone.
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

4. Back To Top    #4

I keep my CYA level close to the minimum (30ppm) so that when we leave for a week or so I can use pucks to keep the pool clean, winterizing the pool at the end of the year removes enough water that it all balances out in the end. Pucks aren't evil if used responsibly, I keep a small 5 puck supply handy for just those scenarios and an adjustable floater dispenser to leave in the skimmer basket that I load up when we are gone.

Works great.
    55 Kilolitre in-ground 18'X36' vinyl lined kidney shape, 1HP pump, Jacuzzi 250lb sand filter, RayPak Delta T 200K BTU natural gas heater. New PoolWerks "Blue Diffusion" liner on May 26th-2011

5. Back To Top    #5

Search around tfp - someone once said they had luck filling a two liter bottle (I think) and letting the chlorine slowly leak out to get through a couple days of being gone. You'll have to do the search for the particulars (don't rely on my memory). I just tried a quick search and couldn't find it -- anyone remember that thread? Seems to me it was an early post in terms of soon after the site started.
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

6. Back To Top    #6

I ran into that thread while contemplating the Liquidator purchase - a couple people posted that open bleach bottles at the bottom of the pool were effective at keeping the pool chlorinated during a vacation. The downside was you couldn't swim with them in the pool - not a problem if you're not there. I'd imagine that it's not a precise thing...
    Steve C. in Webster, NY
    24x54 Aboveground, 1 HP 2-speed pump, 120 sq ft cartridge filter
    8 gallon Liquidator
    2 happy children swimming