Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: How do I add washing soda to my pool?

How do I add washing soda to my pool?

So my new pool startup was 3 days ago and my pH is still less than 6.8 with a TA of zero. My FC is fine at 6 and the CYA is starting to increase @ 10.

I think it is time to add washing soda. How do I add it? Stocking over a return? Is this the right choice?
    Dave
    -------
    Our pool-
    20x40 Free Form Gunite (3'-8'), 26,000 G, AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generator SC-48, Aqua blue pebble sheen, Textured Sundek, Pentair Easy touch with remote control, 1hp Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro pump, Max-E- Therm heater 333k BTU, System 3 Mod Media Cartridge filter, and Polaris 380 cleaner with booster pump

Washing soda would be fine, or you can use baking soda and borax. The best way to add washing soda is to pre-dissolve it in a bucket of pool water and then add the mixture slowly to the skimmer. You can also distribute the powder across the surface of the pool, though there are some minor risks to that approach (you don't want the powder settling on the bottom undissolved).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

Excellent. I will let you know how it goes. And as always.....THANKS!!!!!!
    Dave
    -------
    Our pool-
    20x40 Free Form Gunite (3'-8'), 26,000 G, AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generator SC-48, Aqua blue pebble sheen, Textured Sundek, Pentair Easy touch with remote control, 1hp Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro pump, Max-E- Therm heater 333k BTU, System 3 Mod Media Cartridge filter, and Polaris 380 cleaner with booster pump