Brand new pool-CYA to 30 in 6 weeks with tabs

bosox1086

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Nov 28, 2010
Great forum. New 29,000 gallon concrete pool opened for first time mid April. Found forum a week later after buying tons of tabs and dichlor. How fast can CYA possibly accumulate I think. Should be good with tabs for a couple years. Well, 6 weeks in, using only tabs and dichlor once for shock, CYA already at 30. No conditioner added whatsoever. Will bump up to around 50 and switch to bleach. Weird how pool guy "indoctinating" me to pool never mentioned CYA. It be well over 100 by August and I'd probably be loading up on algecides, etc. from pool store.

Anyway, thanks to the moderators. This is a great forum, I've learned tons. My pool is currently sparkling and I look forward to keeping it that way.

And oh yeah, Go Red Sox!

Welcome to TFP :wave:

As you have witnessed 30ppm/mo CYA on trichlor/dichlor is a pretty good rule of thumb. As long as you montior your levels and switch to bleach...you'll be fine. The pool industry does not educate clients on CYA as it makes them more money in the long run :cry:

I remember looking at a pool store report I received before switching to BBB where it stated that an acceptable range to CYA was 50 to 300! Can you imagine the chlorine I would have to dump into a pool with a CYA of 300! BBB has been easy and my pool has never looked better! Testing daily is actually fun!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.