Full time pumping - Intex

frogabog

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 16, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Just out of curiosity, how many Intex owners use pump run schedules over just running it full time?

We actually run two pumps full time... The second pump's hoses go over the rail into the pool, the inlet weighted down with a coated bat weight near the bottom, returning over the edge about 10 feet before the skimmer pump location.

In all honesty, this setup does the job and I like that one of the pumps is taking from the bottom rather than just the surface. We don't mind the hokey setup, is better than crummy water with just one pump for sure. After starting BBB last year and being back in glinty sparkly business this year in less than 3 days I'm kinda addicted to the sparkle. Turning the pumps off for any amount of time scares me!

For what reason other than energy conservation do Intex peeps turn pumps off for?

What size pumps are you using? I have a 2500gph that I run only 6 hours a day. 5 a.m. to 8 and 5 p.m. to 8.
Our water is so clear you can see the sand dunes on the bottom. We are in a bit of a high wind drought and I have to live with it.

After burning out 3 different Intex pumps, I've ditched them altogether and just went with what a real pool would use.

With what I've spent on replacements I could have bought something better in the first place.

Works much better for vacuuming too!

I have the stock pump that came with my Intex pool, so I guess it is 2500GPH. I run mine full-time. This is the 4th season with it. the first season I tried it on a timer but had severe algae problems but I think part of that was having a 3 yr old so the pool was only 2' deep and I had the pump hooked through the drain, plus in general not knowing what I was doing.

The secondary pump is the Summer Escapes RP800 750gph

The skimmer pump is what came with the Intex 15x48 pool, the 637R model which apparently is 1000gph although I see two posters here with the same Intex pool but your pumps are 2500gph? What gives?

To tell you the truth, we never set it up with just one pump. Went through two easy set pools before this (actually three, but the third one got stolen before we got it even out of the box) and when we got the Intex metal frame last year we just stuck the other pump on. About 3 weeks later I found this forum... BBB ever since.

We also don't change the filters but rather wash them out and re-use. We store old filters in a bucket of dishwasher detergent soup, rinse and re-use if ever needed. Most times we just blow the filter out with the garden hose and stick it back in.

I'd be reticent to not run the skimmer pump, where would all the bugs and debris go if I turned that off?

I don't know if my pump is a 2500gph. It is the stock pump so it could be 1000 GPH. As for the skimmer, my pool is also the 15x48 and it came with a skimmer basket. The pump intake is hooked to the skimmer. That is part of the reason I run the pump 24x7 My pool gets swum? is that a word? in almost daily so I think the water gets stirred enough. I also brush it every few nights. My biggest problem with water quality has been chlorine reacting with iron and turning the water yellow.

Oh, I also have to clean the filters about twice a week. Prolly cuz I run them full time huh?

Anyone else get air in the lines? I usually have to purge twice a day and sometimes more. I even get air in the inlet side of the hose from the bat weighted bottom sucker. It's like it's coming from the water itself, no seams between bat weight inlet and the pump but there's air in the hose anyway.

It's not like we're uneducated about pumps around here. Pumps are actually our bread and butter and have been for over 25 years (dh is a manufacturers representative, he lives and breathes pumps). His pool pumps are actually in use in the new water park at the Evergreen Air and Space Museum's new waterpark (Spruce Goose lives there) http://www.evergreenmuseum.org/waterpark/ that opened recently.

No, we didn't get free tickets, and we won't be going there any time soon. $125 for a day for the five of us is just a bit too much. Water slide coming out of a Boeing 747 on the roof? Crazy!

Hehe... I see your water depth is increasing as the little one grows. Last year was our big push as far as depth for the little one, who at the time was 7 and could tippy toe and not drown in the deep pool. This year she's a pro AND no tippy toe'ing. You see her in my avatar pic over there vacuuming the pool... mah itty bitty pool slave! :whip: She says it's much easier with goggles and a snorkle cuz that way she can see the bottom clearly.

If it is the small one piece pump it is the 1000 gph. That pump is no where near big enough for these pools.
I had to buy one after market. My water was on the edge of green and had more floaties than a fish tank with the 100gph pump.
This is the 2500 gph
The only other way would be to get a real pump and sand filter. Thats my next step.

Attachments

• pump.bmp
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,930
OK, yep. We've got the 1000gph pump. Or rather, two 1000gph pumps. The pool has never been run with just the one pump. We didn't even bother trusting it that way and with the availability of an old pump, rigging it up as an additional was simple, cheap, and seems to work well.

Plus it gives the kids a hose to squirt with and if I aim it properly I can aerate if needed.

Sticking with full time dual pumping/filtering for now. The skimmer is a must under these trees.

I'm also living vicariously here at TFP with my sparkly pool ready for swimmers... Looking at seven days of forecast here, and only one day says maybe it'll be 70. :grrrr:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We have the 1500gph pump and run it 6 hours per day as suggested in the manual. The pump has its own timer. It comes on in the evening. I want it to be running when I do my water test and add in the chlorine. At the same time, our pool has remained clean and sparkly, and we are not near any trees, so I see no reason in running it any longer than that.

aa, youre lucky that pump keeps yours clean.

when i had the 1500 that came with our easy set I couldnt ever keep it clean. I got the 2500 when the 1500 died and I still think its a bit too small. One thing I noticed about the 2500 is the tube that carries water from the impeller to the cartridge housing is 1" ID at best. This seems a bit small since the hoses are 1.5". Anyways it does do a better job.

i run mine 12 hrs during the day and then about 3-4 at night to skim the bugs and run a fountain if the water temps gets high during the day.

foster400 said:
aa, youre lucky that pump keeps yours clean.

when i had the 1500 that came with our easy set I couldnt ever keep it clean. I got the 2500 when the 1500 died and I still think its a bit too small. One thing I noticed about the 2500 is the tube that carries water from the impeller to the cartridge housing is 1" ID at best. This seems a bit small since the hoses are 1.5". Anyways it does do a better job.

i run mine 12 hrs during the day and then about 3-4 at night to skim the bugs and run a fountain if the water temps gets high during the day.

Yes, thankfully no problems keeping the pool clean. Hooked the vaccuum up for the first time this weekend and got up the bit of sand that had settled in some creases. It also picked up some dog hair!

Started year 2 with my 1Kgph pump running fulltime on my 14X42. Change out filters 1-2 a week, rinse and reuse. Keep the chlorine on the high side, nice and sparklyicious!

Thinking about a higher capacity pump, but I've had such good luck with my 1K, and Lowes keeps them in stock for just $40...convince me to buy the 2.5K?!?

ob1quixote said:
Started year 2 with my 1Kgph pump running fulltime on my 14X42. Change out filters 1-2 a week, rinse and reuse. Keep the chlorine on the high side, nice and sparklyicious!

Thinking about a higher capacity pump, but I've had such good luck with my 1K, and Lowes keeps them in stock for just $40...convince me to buy the 2.5K?!?

Sorry, can't... I actually like the double pumping and used pumps are pretty cheap on Craigs List so if you're into hokey at all and cheap like we are (you rinse and re-user you!) pick up a cheapo second 1000gph pump, put a bat weight on the suction end, put a through wall screen on it, stick it down in the bottom of the pool and call it a day. :party: :cheers: :cheers:

Anyone want to see my hokey second pump setup?

I just put on the new Hayward VL 1800 GPH sand on my 15x42
(3300 gal) and thus far, it seems more than enough. Vacuum power is suffcient too. I run mine about four hours a day for sparkle and anytime there are swimmers no matter what. I bought it new in the box on ebay for 204.00 shipped. Lovin it so far.

My 1500gph pump runs 6 hours a night and has worked pretty well for a year and a half. Even though I have had no problems, I really want a sand filter. I'm just not willing to spend the money until there is a problem unless I find a great deal.

I have a 16' X 48" Intex pool with an Intex 1600gph Sand Filter Pump. I run my pump for 12 hours a day. I would run it for 24 hours but I'm afraid that one of the lines might slip off and drain my pool over night so I run the pump from 10am to 10pm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.