SWG Systems and Copper Pipes

arjaygee

LifeTime Supporter
May 6, 2011
Orange, California
I just purchased a Pool Pilot Digital for my very old swimming pool, and since my plumbing is a little complicated, I had decided to contact a professional to do the installation. For the most part, my plumbing is PVC above the surface but all under ground lines coming and going to the pool are copper. When the installer came out to assess the job and provide an estimate, he immediately spotted the copper going into the ground and advised against installing the SWG system. He said that the SWG system would eventually result in pipe erosion, to the point where I would end up with problems under ground. He did qualify that it would most likely take quite a while, it was still estimated on the order of within 10 years. He also pointed out that, in general, I can expect heater problems as well, since my older heater includes copper.

I've searched and read some similar concerns but am a bit surprised copper plumbing and SWG concerns aren't discussed much here and elsewhere... unless it is and I've carelessly missed it.

I would love to hear your collective thoughts on this one. I'm not sure if I should cut my losses and return the SWG system, probably incurring a re-stocking fee or conclude that the installers advice was not quite accurate and install it anyway.

Using copper with a SWG is not a problem at all as long as you never let your PH get too low. Copper and ocean water don't do so well together, but copper and SWG levels of salt are just fine. The only significant risk with copper pipes is accidentally allowing the PH to get too low.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.