So we finally got our new (replacement) 24'x52" AG pool up this past Sunday. It took the next few days to fill it using well water. Added hockey puck tabs to a float dispenser, gallon of liquid shock, pool store PH raiser, pump with sand filter has been running constant for 48 hours and the water is green. It seemed a bit cloudier on Wed. when I first turned the pump on than it does tonight. Last night I added another gallon of shock, but a storm came through and dumped a lot of debris (leaves) into the pool, and this morning the pressure was very low out of the return. A backwash fixed it.
I ordered the TF100 test kit last night, probably won't be here till sometime next week. The strip testers show the PH on the high side.
Anyway, I'm thinking metal? Even though it took three days to fill the pool and it was hot, it doesn't seem like algae to me since it was greenish all along. In my last pool, whenever I had algae the water would be clear and blue and the algae would grow on the liner. No sign of algae on any pool surfaces. On the other hand, I've always topped of the old pool with well water and last summer drained about a third of the water out and refilled with well water with no hint of green.
Still, I'm anxious to see if something like Mineral Magnet might help (it's not like the test kit will test for metals anyway). I don't want to take the water to the pool store for testing because they will want to sell me all kinds of chemicals - and I trust everyone here more anyway!
Does it sound more like metal than algae in this scenario? Should I try the Mineral Magnet? Any downside to using it?