Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 8 foot Gator in Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

8 foot Gator in Pool

So I was googling for pool area alarms (any suggestions welcome) and an odd result came up. It was this video of an 8 foot alligator in a pool in Florida.

Enjoy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiIKuCBjy3Q

Sorry if this is old news to everyone, but I searched the forum first and saw no references to alligators.

Makes me glad to live up in Indiana where its too cold for gators, plenty of chipmunks in the pool though. 4 chipmunks and the dog twice in the first week after opening. They must have been too used crossing the loop-loc cover.
    16x32 IG 25,000 gal Vinyl, 1.5 HP Hayward Superpump, Hayward S200 Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 8 foot Gator in Pool

I was sitting on my deck and watched 2 ducks come in for a landing right into my neighbors pool, I thought that was odd, albeit pretty good accuracy to hit such a small area.
    I'd stick with the ducks.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

3. Back To Top    #3

Sat out on the deck one night last fall - it was dark - and watched two small objects waddle across the back yard and make a bee-line to the pool. I recognized that waddle as racoons!! They went for the shallow end where the steps are - they obviously have been there before. So they start washing thier paws in the water - I'm ok with that - the pool is sanitized - no harm. WELL - one of the little buggers steps INTO the pool and starts swimming around !! That's where I drew the line! I jumped up and yelled "Get the 'ell outa my pool!!". He did ... and they both scampered along the deck to a nearby tree and shimmied up out of sight.
    Haven't seen them since !!

Oh yeah - we live on a bayou - haven't seen any gators yet.
    20,125 gal. (2,690.6 c.f.) In-Ground / Concrete (Gunite) / Pentair Tagelus TA-60-60D Sand Filter / Pentair Whisper Flo Pump Model WF-24 @ 1HP / Hayward Veri-Flo Valve Model 710 / Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006 test kit / Pool School student

4. Back To Top    #4

I find muddy Raccoon footprints on my top step all the time. I haven;t caught them going for a swim. Now that I think about it there a potential for them to do some serious damage to the liner with their claws.

I have to borrow my dads dog for a few nights to spook the little buggers.
    40,000L (10,500G) 17 x 30 Pioneer "Trinity" Vinyl IG
    Hayward OmniLogic, Hayward TCELL925-CUL SWG, Hayward SP23520VSP MaxFlo Pump, Club Pro SM2506T Sand Filter, Hayward H-Series Heater, Zodiac G3 Cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thankful we decided to put in an enclosure, although I did find a black snake swimming in the pool last fall. Since moving in 5 years ago I've killed 3 pygmy rattlesnakes (1 bit our dog), 2 juvenile (30" long) moccasins, and 1 scarlet snake (mistaken for coral snake). So much for living in a large suburban community.

BTW, the juvenile moccasins look nothing like the adult ones.
    30' x 15' kidney shaped, 3.5-5.5 ft deep, wet-mix shotcrete inground, AutoPilot Digital SWG - RC35/22 cell, 36" main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns, Dyna-Pro 1 HP, Sta-Rite 2 (PLM100) filter, Polaris 360 cleaner, Marbletite (Marquis/Bluestone), Screen enclosure

6. Back To Top    #6

I suspect is the raccoons who poop on the waterfall. Sometimes where it washes into the pool, sometimes not. I used to think they were cute. Grr
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

7. Back To Top    #7

While testing the water last week, I watched an ant carrying half a dead ant across the deck. It was headed straight toward the pool. I wondered if he'd fall in or not so I continued watching. To my surprise, he got right up to the edge and dropped the dead ant into the pool then proceeded to walk away. Hopefully they don't make a habit of filling my pool with dead bugs.
    16x32 IG 25,000 gal Vinyl, 1.5 HP Hayward Superpump, Hayward S200 Sand Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

His buddy just requested a burial at sea!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Ant team 6?
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Ohm_Boy
    Ant team 6?
    ROFLMAO !!!!!!!!!
    20,125 gal. (2,690.6 c.f.) In-Ground / Concrete (Gunite) / Pentair Tagelus TA-60-60D Sand Filter / Pentair Whisper Flo Pump Model WF-24 @ 1HP / Hayward Veri-Flo Valve Model 710 / Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006 test kit / Pool School student