Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: air in my system

1. Back To Top    #1

air in my system

I have in-ground pool with a sta rite cartridge filter system, that now has air bubbles showing up in the pump basket ( you can see them through the clear lid ), and I get air bubbles coming out of the inlets in the pool. There is a purge valve at the top of the filter to get rid of air, but the air bubbles keep coming back. any idea where the air might be getting into the system?
    Dennis

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: air in my system

1)Check the skimmer to make sure that the water is not low creating a vortex in the skimmer and pulling in air
    2)check the pump strainer basket lid to ensure it is seated well and not leaking air...
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Rob's got the two most common places. Your leak is on the suction side of the system....somewhere between the impeller and the skimmers. Just start systematically eliminating every possibility (including low water in the skimmer) and work toward the pump....you'll find it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Do you have a suction side cleaner? The hoses could be loose at the fittings or you could have a crack in one of them.
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

5. Back To Top    #5

I cured one last summer where the cover O-ring on the Jandy diverter valve that switches between the skimmers and the main drain broke. A few drops coming out when I turned the pump off was the giveaway. Carefully check your above-ground suction-side plumbing for drips right after you shut off the pump.

I just super-glued the O-ring together and then put in a new one this Spring.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you one and all for your responses, no problems at the skimmer IE low water, and the lid in the pump basket is seated properly, my cleaner is a pressure side type. I am beginning to think that I may have a problem in the pvc under ground from the main drain or the skimmer basket, I sure hope not.
    Dennis