Chemical levels after beating back the green swamp

Bink

May 29, 2011
Atlanta
While it has taken a week I am finally winning the battle of the swamp. Got the water to the milky state and it appears that the algae has been beaten back. Since the water was still not clear I decided to flock it. I had a bottle already so I just followed the directions, unfortunately it did not clear the pool. I vacummed the bottom of the pool as best I could and got a lot of what I assume is dead algae out. Currently adding water back in but I'm wondering what may have gone wrong that the pool didn't clear up. In the past we have flocked and never had an issue like this. Chemical levels are below, do I need to raise PH and then see if the flock settles the debris to the bottom? Do I just run whirlpool or should I go back to filtering? Haven't been filtering for over 24 hours now so I'm concerned about algae getting started again.
Thanks in advance for your help!!
My current levels of chemicals are as follows:
PH 6.8
FC 17
cc 5
TC 22
TA 70 - 90
CYA 60

Get the pH up. Pool calc advises 125 oz of Borax.
Keep the pool up at shock level which is where you are at, with a suggest level of 18 ppm.
Also suggest getting a good kit and doing the testing yourself, either a TF-100 or Taylor K2006

I have the TF100 kit, that is what the numbers are from. Wasn't sure if my PH was low because of all the shocking I had done. Should I get the PH up first then go back to shock level with the chlorine? I went ahead and turned the filter back on. Didn't get the bottom as clean as I had hoped as a bunch of white crud came up which I'm assuming is the dead algae. Once I get the PH up I'll shut the pool off overnight to see if any flock that is left in the pool settles to the bottom. Will vacuum again in the a.m........after all this work I really want to go float in the pool...... temps in Atlanta have been in the 90's for the last couple of weeks.....Thank you for the quick response too!! You folks are great!! :cheers:

A high fc will cause your ph test to be inaccurate... Ph should be adjusted prior to shocking. Keep the pump running you want to keep the water mixing so the chlorine can kill the organics, give your filter time to clear up the water. Be diligent with keeping your chlorine to shock level checking as often as every hour and readding bleach as needed... Your paitence will pay off....

You should raise your pH now. pH generally test a false high when FC is over 10ppm and it could actually be lower than 6.8.

As suggested, add borax to get you to 7.2 for now.

Then, when FC drops below 10, test pH and adjust to 7.2 & 7.5 range. Then resume shocking.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.