Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Decking material dilemna

1. Back To Top    #1

Decking material dilemna

We are trying to decide on our decking material. Approximately 1000 sq'
    We are set on it being a light color due to our heat and the decking being in direct sunlight.
    We've been getting some very reasonable quotes but would really appreciate anyone relating their recomendations for material type.
    We have aluminum coping and area graded so it is a fairly straighforward patio.
    Our options are;

A) Plain concrete, lightly brushed, $3 - 3.50 /sq'

B) Concrete, colored and stamped, aprox $7.50

C) Concrete w/ Kool deck, $7 - 7.50

D) Travertine pavers, (tumbled 1 1/2 thick) $9 - $10

We have been reading some very positive things about travertine pavers and they would definitely look beautiful around our pool.

We originally started our pool build with the express intent of not spending a tremendous amount of money, thus the DIY kit.
    I have to somehow get past the cost difference of 2 or 3 times my plain concrete cost for something nicer.
    We realize that this decking can really "make or break" the entire look of the house, but I'm mainly a big fan of it being low maintenance, functionality, and bang for the buck.

Please let us hear your stories or opinions.

John and Family

A great stamped pic that we like (stolen from Nightmare)
    [attachment=1:2hfnmxfy]Concrete pool stamping.JPG[/attachment:2hfnmxfy]

Travertine Pavers from
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Experience is what you get, just after you needed it."

Owner DIY build, steel/liner kit, 18x36 Deer Creek, sport depth, approx 17,500 gal,
    Aqua Plus SWG, 1 1/2 hp, 2 speed, 300# sand filter and twin Color logic 4.0s, MX-8 Cleaner.
    My DIY Pool Build

2. Back To Top    #2

Sicklerville, NJ

Re: Decking material dilemna

"low maintenance, functionality, and bang for the buck" that sounds like plain concrete. Put the extra $$ into more sq. ft. if it has to be spent.
    25k gal Lazy-L, vinyl liner, poly walls, swimout spa, diving board, TurboTwister slide.
    Hayward 2HP 2-spd pump, Pentair 2HP spa pump, Hayward 30" 500lb sand filter.
    Goldline Pro Logic PS-8 automation/SWG. 2 LED ColorLogic 4.0. 8 Jandy deck jets. MX-8 cleaner.