Deep End Cloudy

Sep 12, 2010
HI All,

Opened 10 days ago, VIG with mesh cover that had torn over winter, some debris and pretty green with algae

Followed the BBB meathod and it cleaned up pretty fast. I was able to lower the initial CYA from 80 to 60 not sure how much it was my dumping water (vacuum to waste and backwashed filter a number of times) vs now testing with much less cloudy water though.

Shallow end looks clear but not sparkling. Deep end you can see the pebble grain at the bottom but it is definately still cloudy. Is it possible that the filter just needs more time to cycle the water ? It was running 10 days straight 24x7 or do you think the chemicals need adjustment ?

I used A&H washing soda to raise the PH and TA today. FC dropped from 5 to 3 in a 24hr period but it was 95 yeaterday

TA=80
PH=7.4
FC=5
TC=5
CC=0
CYA=60

Thanks for the advice

A sand filter can take a while to get that perfect sparkle. Adding a little DE to the filter often helps speed up the process. With CYA at 60, I recommend you never let FC below 5 and aim to be a little above that most of the time.

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the DE tip. Oddly enough we used to have a DE filter then 3 or 4 years ago, had to get a new filter and went with the sand so I still had a big bag of DE in the garage, so this is a quick and free trial with the DE

In any case I added 1/2 cup mixed with water slowly into the skimmer and will monitor the pressure

I agree I need to keep the FC above 5 for best results, today was the 1st day that it dipped that low since I opened it

Gg,

You certainly understand BBB and are on the right track. I think your pool would've cleared on it's own but the DE will likely help.

If you don't see definitive results in 24 hours, I would up the FC to around 10-12 and try to hold that level for another day.

One of those two procedures will get your water where it needs to be, I'm pretty sure.

Wow the DE worked

In just 24 hrs the pool is crackling clear, I have a before pic but today is overcast and will shoot to take one tomorrow if it is sunny

Yesterday I added 1/2 cup DE mixed with water to my skimmer. Pressure went from 11psi to 17psi in about 4 hrs. I vacuumed the pool this morning and pressure went to 24psi so I backwashed the filter. I added DE but this time cut back to 1/3 cup. Pressure went from 11psi to 12psi after 4 hrs.

Wondering how to tell if the filter needs more sand

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.