Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: swg or pool frog ???

1. Back To Top    #1

swg or pool frog ???

I have a 24ft round doughboy with the deep dig option, i'm told it's 18,700 gallons! it's in full sun all day (chlorine hog) I have been looking into a swg and when i spoke to a guy i know that works where i bought my pool,i was told that doughboy will no longer warranty my pool w a swg and they are having problems with the salt content causing corrosion ! Then he tries to sale me the pool frog system! has anyone on here heard of this ??? sounds like more pool store **** to buy to me ! i could be wrong ! any input from u guys would be valued and appreciated !!! thanks
    24 ft round doughboy with deep end. Hayward pro series high-rate sand filtration system with a 1.5 hp hayward power-flo matrix pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: swg or pool frog ???

Welcome to TFP!

Corrosion is extremely rare, though not entirely unheard of. In general anything that corrodes with salt water would have corroded without salt water after a little more time.

I strongly recommend against the Pool Frog. It does next to nothing to help and risks stains.

A great many people here have SWG pools and are extremely happy with them. Most of us with a SWG will never go back to being without one.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Run now!!!

Ditch the frog. Doughboy's are a nice quality pool and I doubt you would have any issues using a SWG...my cheap pool sure doesn't

Here is what we generally think of alternative sanitizaton systems...they may work for a while, but when they don't it's a mess.

alternative-sanitizers-and-chemical-free-pools-the-truth-t3025.html
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, the pool frog is pool store sillyness - save yourself a great deal of frustration and don't bother!
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

If you ever had to make a warranty claim, just remove the SWG. Does the warranty say anything about adding salt for "feel", or just SWG?
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

6. Back To Top    #6

And I am sure the warranty is so prorated that it wont make a difference anyway.

FYI--I have the same pool and use one.
    24' AG Doughboy w/ 5'8 dish bottom, CWII DE Filter, 1.5 hayward 2 speed pump, Aquatrol SWG.

7. Back To Top    #7

I have been very happy with our Intex SWG. in talking with various pool shops looking to replace our intex with a real pool they are ALL trying to talk me out of swg and using the pool frog. Why are they all recommending them? lots of money in refills for them?
    The man on top of the mountain didn't fall there.

24' x 52" Intex ultra frame pool (12,400 gallons) with seperate Intex 2500gph pump and SWG and 2 Intex magnetic pool lights.
    Looking to upgrade to 27-30' semi inground install

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by UPSguy
    I have been very happy with our Intex SWG. in talking with various pool shops looking to replace our intex with a real pool they are ALL trying to talk me out of swg and using the pool frog. Why are they all recommending them? lots of money in refills for them?
    Yes.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

i got a aquatrol right before leaving for vacation ! gotta get home and get me about 500 pounds of salt and get started !
    24 ft round doughboy with deep end. Hayward pro series high-rate sand filtration system with a 1.5 hp hayward power-flo matrix pump.