Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: completely dismayed...just stopped working

1. Back To Top    #1

completely dismayed...just stopped working

I have a fiberglass 14k gallon fiberglass pool about 6 years old. I had a hayward super pump and filter on the pool and it could hardly keep up.
    I had another pump and filter system from another house and I did a switch out.
    Bear in mind my plumbing skills are rudamentary at best.
    The new pump and filter were hooked up. Pentair variable speed with the clean and clear plus 320.
    A few leaks found in the beginning were fixed and pump has run great to clean my swamp for 5 days now.
    This morning I got new filters from pleatco thinking this would help even more.
    Put the filters in with no problem, they look identical to the pentair ones. The system worked great for 30 minutes and then lost prime. No matter what I do I can't seem to keep the pump primed and going now.
    Please help, I am a mother of 3 kids dying to swim and I'm losing the algae battle the longer this thing sits idle. Thanks. Heather
    14x33 fiberglass freeform
    Variable speed Pentair intelliflo superpump
    420 Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter.
    pool-school/pool_calculator , http://www.tftestkits.net/

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: completely dismayed...just stopped working

My educated guess is an air leak. Logically, if it only started acting up after replacing filters, something you did there messed things up.

Did you move any valves and forget to move them back?
    Did you clean out the strainer? Maybe it's not sealed tight?
    What happens if you open the air bleed? Do you have an air bleed?
    Did you forget to install an O-ring gasket somewhere?
    Do the filters fit right?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

No valves were moved.
    Strainer was cleaned but I checked it 3 times and it is seated right and fine.
    When I open the air bleed it just dribbles water down the side of the filter, even when the pump is on 4.
    Nope I took off filter housing and cleaned oring and replaced it very carefully.
    The filters seem to pop right in just as the pentair ones did.
    The weird part of all of this is it worked like a charm for 30 minutes and I was so excited to see the pressure down to 12-15 instead of 27-30 with the old filters.
    It just doesn't make sense.
    I'm taking a coffee break to collect my head and will go back out to try again.
    I'm gonna put the old filters back in after I clean them and see what happens....................UGH!

4. Back To Top    #4

The pump makes noise? Maybe you got something stuck in the pump impeller. Kill the power to the pump, pull the strainer basket, and reach in and up to see if the impeller moves.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    The pump makes noise? Maybe you got something stuck in the pump impeller. Kill the power to the pump, pull the strainer basket, and reach in and up to see if the impeller moves.
    Same thing I'm thinking. An impeller problem is a good guess. Power off before checking though!

If you can get to the motor shaft at the back, see if the impeller turns when the shaft turns.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

Checked it out, impeller moves just fine. Motor shaft at back turning fine.
    Can you post video links on this site?

7. Back To Top    #7

You cna post a video link.

It really sounds like a plugged impeller. It may turn fine but if the vanes are clogged it won't pump. You can take a small mirror and look at the front of it to see if you see anything in there. You could try feeling in it too. Be sure the power is off.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

I shut it off, shoved my little fingers through and couldn't feel anything stuck in the impeller.

9. Back To Top    #9

Try taking a water hose wrapped in a rag and force water backward from the inlet pipe in the pump basket to the skimmer.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

10. Back To Top    #10

Just pushing the water from the pump strainer back to the pool?
    Sorry I don't understand.

11. Back To Top    #11

Yes, from the pump back to the pool. Just trying to make sure it isn't a clogged pipe causing your problem.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

So what happened???

Do we have a happy ending or not?

13. Back To Top    #13

Had to work, will retry in the am. Thinking I have a sort of clog. I got it going, came home at 1am to see if it was still running and it was shut off and dry and I couldn't reprime it again. I shot water through the pump earlier, not sure what to look for? It went through fine until the pipes filled then squirted out at me???

14. Back To Top    #14

It's sounding like a clog. You may get some back pressure when trying to run water backward toward the skimmer but it should flow out of the skimmer pretty freely.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

Ok. I push the water through the skimmer and it eventually fills up and comes back. I push water through the bottom drain and it flows and flows and flows. No seemingly water loss in the pool. How do you unclog a clogged pipe? I had a skimmer plug in for the winter and the strainer has been in all the time (I'm pretty sure).
    Oh well if anyone could advise me on how to onclog that would be helpful.

16. Back To Top    #16

A drain king might work because it seals itself against the pipe and will pressure up the pipe and might blow the clog back out.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

So I FINALLY got it fixed. I isolated the issue with the bottom drain. I had ruled out the pump, filter and the skimmer. I then messed around with the bottom drain valve and realized I had a bad oring. Oring replaced and retightened and I'm back to fighting my swamp. I have dumped so much chlorine in this thing without adequate circulation, I'm ready to get this thing cleaned up now!!! Thanks everyone!
    Next thread is easy touch control issues

18. Back To Top    #18

Yippee!