Filter damage from Bacquacil pool with too much algae

Jun 9, 2011
Hi. We got a brand new Hayward 1HP pump and filter last July. This year when we opened the pool it was a little green but clear to see to bottom. Pool is 21k gallons 16 X 32 rectangular inground with 3 ft and 8 ft ends. After 8 days of endless work and endless BAC products we gave up and started the conversion to chlorine using the bleach method. I have noticed that my filter since the beginning has been running at 20bpi and unless I vaccuum on waste and THEN backwash I can't ever get my pressure under 10. Once I finish backwashing and rinsing the pressure goes back up to 20 and I backwash it when it gets to 22. Do you think this is normal? Could the bacquacil have damaged the filter in any way? It is under warrantee until mid July 2011. Any thoughts on this subject are quite welcome. Conversion coming along nicely. Low end is clear and sparkly, algae is dying and am brushing away the brown dead stuff. No longer live green algae. Thanks!

Converting from BAQ and clearing algae will both cause your filter to clog very quickly. Are you following the Baq conversion process from Pool School?
Are you maintaining your FC at 15ppm?
What's the brand and model of your filter?

The filter was dragging before I started the conversion, now it is working much better. My pump is a hayward 1hp. My question was more about the bpi if that is considered normal for a brand new filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.