Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: To those with Solar Bear panels 4x20. Need help real quick

1. Back To Top    #1

To those with Solar Bear panels 4x20. Need help real quick

Ok, I wanted to order one or two of the solar bear panels 4x20. There seems to be two kinds. One with 1 1/2" connecters, and one with 2" connecters. Now, I find it hard to believe that Fafco makes two models of this panel with different size piping on the ends of the small tubes. So I am assuming that the 1 1/2" and 2" is ONLY the fitting that they use to attach to the end of the panel, yes? I would like to use 2" piping, but there is a big difference in price, especially if all the difference is, the fitting at the end of the panel. I would be willing to pay the difference, if it matters ALOT, or if the actual panel ends were 2". The price jumps from $230 free shipping from nationaldiscountpoolsupplies.com for 1 1/2" up to $330 free shipping from poolsupplyworld.com

Fafco does not give info on the different models that they carry. Only info I found, is it seems all the places that carry the 1 1/2" panels, use model #960.
    14.6K gal., 24ft, 54" above ground. 2HP, 2speed Hayward pump (4psi low, 18psi hi), 150sqft cartridge filter. 4x20 solar panel (6 psi).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: To those with Solar Bear panels 4x20. Need help real qui

Hmm, actually I just found one for $280 shipped on ebay. Comes with roof mounting kit and some plugs. Roof mounting kit is the same thing I would use if I were going to install on panels, on the ground, right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/FAFCO-SOLAR-BEAR-4X ... 35b193dd0b
    14.6K gal., 24ft, 54" above ground. 2HP, 2speed Hayward pump (4psi low, 18psi hi), 150sqft cartridge filter. 4x20 solar panel (6 psi).

3. Back To Top    #3

You presumably don't need a mounting kit if you are putting them on the ground, though it can't hurt.

Two inch headers make a big difference when you have lots of panels, and don't matter when you only have one or two panels.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

It won't be directly on the ground. I am building a rack for them.

Most I will have, is 2 4x20 panels.

Lastly, I see NO ONE using black flex PVC. Is that stuff bad? I would think it would be good for solar. Here are the choices I have:

http://www.flexiblepvc.net/Flexible_PVC_Pipe_s/23.htm

5. Back To Top    #5

Both black and white pipe should be painted with a suitable kind of paint to block UV, so it really doesn't matter which color you get. Krylon Fusion is a good paint choice.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Both black and white pipe should be painted with a suitable kind of paint to block UV, so it really doesn't matter which color you get. Krylon Fusion is a good paint choice.
    Really? I never read on here about people painting flexPVC.